Monday, October 19, 2020

A Halloween Decorating Idea by Kristin Wallace


I can’t believe it’s October already! In so many ways time seems to have stopped mid-March and yet the calendar keeps changing.  

I wanted to share something a little more lighthearted this month. It’s a Halloween decorating idea that is super cute and easy for even non-crafty people (which I definitely am) can do. 

 

Now I did not come up with this idea on my own. I was in Party City looking for decorations to put up in my apartment for my roommate’s birthday a couple weeks ago. Since the Halloween decorations were already out in full force, I looked around and came upon a display of clear round ornaments with tiny Halloween-themed lights inside them. 

 

At first I wanted to buy the ornaments, but of course, they were just for the display for the lights. Still, I loved the idea so much that I decided to make some for my apartment. 

 

I bought 8 sets of lights, including ones with tiny pumpkins, ghosts, spiders, and bats, as well as simple colored lights. I also bought a string of lights with pumpkins on them. Mine came from Party City, but I’m sure you can find similar lights at other stores. 

 

Then I bought clear plastic balls at Michaels. Again, you might have another craft store that sells something like that. Since Christmas décor is also already out they aren’t hard to find. 

 

NOTE: Make sure you get ornaments that come with two halves that you fit together. If you get the regular ornaments with only a small hole at the top the lights won’t fit. (I realized this after buying the wrong kind of ornaments.)

 

Then you put batteries in the lights, put them inside one half of an ornament, and snap the two halves together. Then you can hang them wherever you want. 

 

It turned out really nice. 

 

The best thing is, I can change out the lights inside the ornaments for different holidays. I’ll probably try fall colors for Thanksgiving and then red & green for Christmas. 

 

Do you have any cool Halloween decorating ideas? Please share them with me! 

 

Kristin Wallace is the USA Today Best Selling Author of sweet contemporary and inspirational romance filled with Love, Laughter, and a Leap of Faith. She is the author of three popular series, Covington Falls ChroniclesShellwater Key Tales, and Palm Cove Tales

4 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

What a cool idea! Thanks for sharing, Kristin - especially the piece about the larger clear ornament that comes in two pieces!

Deb N said...

I love this idea!!!! How do you put the batteries in to "motor" the lights? Is there a special kind that will attach to the lights? One or two balls would also make a fun display on a book signing table. If and when we are ever allowed near a bunch of people who MIGHT want to buy our books :-)

Luanna Stewart said...

Neat idea - particularly since you can change the theme of the lights. In the right location, the balls could be a permanent part of the decor. I may have to brave our Michaels, hehe.

Maggie Lynch said...

Very clever idea. I've been thinking about how to do something simple but noticeable outside for holiday lights. A couple of those would be wonderful hanging from tall tree branches. Now, to convince my husband this is a good idea. :)