Saturday, October 17, 2020

One Characteristic of Light Paranormal

By Diana McCollum

 

Light Paranormal

 

In light paranormal one might find fanciful or funny characters. Perhaps the sidekick of the vampire is a dentist best friend. Or a teenage mermaid who when coming on to land loves watching the Disney movie The Little Mermaid.

I chose two in my book The Witch with the Trident Tattoo.

A few weeks ago  I wrote about James who was cursed to live for a few years as an octopus. He never lost his love of shoes, and collected them even though he couldn’t wear them.

Today I’d like to introduce you to Mischell. She is a teenage mermaid. Cursed to live and learn some manners as a mermaid till she turns 20. 

Mischell is a typical teenager, when on land. When in mermaid form in the ocean she is subject to her pod of 3 mermaids who are raising her and teaching her right from wrong.

Ella my heroine, a sea witch, can also swim under water or be on land. In this scene Ella is about to leave in her truck.

 

 

“She opened the door to her truck to find a teenage girl, short shocking-pink hair sticking out every which way, sleeping on the seat. Ella shook the girl till she rolled over. Mischell, youngest of four mermaids roaming the waters off the shoreline lay on the front seat, sound asleep. Her hair would turn lime-green when she reached adulthood.

“Mischell, wake up.” She shook her harder.

“Hey, watch the shoulder. Aren’t you pleased to see me?” Mischell pushed herself up to sitting, stifling a yawn. Her crown of short pink hair stuck out every which way. In human form, she preferred steampunk clothes. Today she sported a black leather bustier decorated with chains, gears and a zipper, black tights and a short black skirt.

“Nice clothes,” Ella said, holding in a giggle. Mischell was a typical teenager even if she was a mermaid; she dressed to please herself and no one else.

“Do you like my shoes? James found them for me.” Mischell pointed her foot in front of her. Bright sunshine gleamed on silver ballet flats.

“Oh, my, they…are lovely.” Her shoes didn’t really match her outfit, but Mischell seemed pleased with them. “Why are you here? Your training isn’t over for two more years.”

“I’ve evolved enough I can come on land for longer periods of time. James helped me get here.” She slid out of the truck. “I’m here to give you a message. James was called away by his lordship, and I’m to check clothing bins at the thrift shop, clothes for me and shoes for James. He is extremely specific on what colors he wants.” She counted them off on her fingers. “First he wants purple shoes, preferably sequin, second, black riding boots, third, brown work boots, and yellow shoes, if I can find any. Oh, and only matching pairs.” She rolled her eyes.

The odd odor of too many people mixed together reached Ella’s nose. “Did you get your clothes from the thrift shop donation bin?”

“No one wanted them, so I took them.”

“Mischell, you need to go back in the ocean. You’re not through growing. When you stay out of the water there’s always a chance you’ll change back and die on land.”

Silver bracelets jangled against a steampunk gear bracelet as Mischell crossed her arms. “It’s not fair. You can come and go whenever you please.”

“I’m not a mermaid like you, I’m a sea witch. Do you understand?” Ella squeezed Mischell’s shoulder. She’d always had a special spot in her heart for the young mermaid. 

Mischell had been banished from Atlantis because she had a desire for shiny pretty things. Unfortunately, some of those things belonged to others. So she was sent here to learn some manners and rules of the ocean. Her training was put in the hands of three other mermaids, who were not thrilled being held responsible for the child. Ella could still remember cries of protest from Mischell when she was taken from the only home she’d ever known, and at such a young age. “How long can you stay?”

“I’ve only been here a short time, so maybe five hours?” She clasped her hands under her chin, her face glowing with expectation. “Can I stay today, please, please? I won’t be any trouble, I promise.”

“Okay, for a couple of hours. Now, what message do you have for me from James?”

 

I hope you enjoyed this scene from The Witch with the Trident Tattoo.

 

Do you like it when the author springs an unexpected character in the book?

 

6 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

As to your unexpected character question. I really haven't thought about it. I do like unexpected information about a character - like a man who is very handsome being called "Beast" or a man or woman who appears vain and unconcerned about others taking an active interest in something that seems counter to their character.

Sarah Raplee said...

I enjoy those unexpected characters! Mischelle and James add a lot of interest in your story, and they play active roles. they are not just scenery! Great excerpt!

Diana McCollum said...

Thanks for stopping by, Judith and Sarah!!!

Deb N said...

This was such a fun story. Thanks for the excerpt tp remind about the characters you built in this story. Colorful, in more ways than one!!! Playful, lots of tension, and of course, very romantic.

Diana McCollum said...

Thanks, Deb! It was a fun story to write.

Maggie Lynch said...

I love how you tie the concept of being "evolved" to the abilities to be out of water for longer periods of time. There is something much deeper there and shows that characters don't come fully formed and need to learn hard lessons.

Your imagination is wonderful and your characters are both entertaining and interesting on a personal level.