Friday, February 19, 2021

A Chemical #Romance #science

Hi, I'm Pippa Jay, author of sci-fi and supernatural stories to engage your emotions. I'm also a science technician, once an industrial chemist. So for my February post on the subject of love, perhaps it's not surprising if I take a purely technical view on the whole idea of romance...


love noun
\ ˈləv  \

Definition of love

 (Entry 1 of 2)


(1)
strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties
(2)attraction based on sexual desire affection and tenderness felt by lovers
(3)affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests

Love is one of the most common themes in creative arts. It’s considered part of the survival instinct, a drive that helps keep human beings together to ensure the continuation of the species. Perhaps that’s why it’s such a common theme, particularly in science fiction, where threats to the species can be so much bigger and catastrophic on a galactic, or even universal scale.


But how would that work for a relationship between two different species, as can happen in a science fiction romance? Would a species that might be physically compatible respond in the same way to the pheromones released by a human? What if they had the opposite effect? And if love in a human is the drive to mate and perpetuate the species, how does that work with a biologically incompatible partner? Will we ever find out for real!?


Most of us are aware that love is supposedly the result of a cocktail of different chemicals surging round our bodies. That initial dizziness we feel, the racing heart, the sweaty palms and hot flushes are all down to the release of dopamine, norepinephrine and phenylethylamine. The feeling of bliss comes from the “pleasure drug” dopamine. The racing heart and excitement are due to the adrenaline-like norepinephrine. Together they produce elation, intense energy, sleeplessness, loss of appetite: all the classic symptoms of being in love. When a couple has sex, oxytocin is released during orgasm and creates an emotional bond. The more sex, the greater the bond.
Most of my involved couples have been human (or relatively so!). But romance in science fiction where one or both of the characters isn’t human is part of what gives sfr a greater scope to explore. To pursue a whole range of ‘what ifs’ beyond the simple ‘will they/won’t they?’ get together. That’s what I love about science fiction romance, where a happily ever after may not just depend on that first kiss. For example, in one of my not quite human pairings, the non-human species relies on a chemical signature that tells them 'this is your one true mate', and once found, there's no future happiness with anyone else. A huge pressure on their human soulmate, who may not feel quite the same!
Imprint, featured in the free anthology Tales from the SFR Brigade

And a couple of years ago I finally published a romance with a completely alien character, which presented some interesting challenges. How does a completely different type of corporeal entity even interact with a human, let alone find love?

And I still have one more story in progress where love must try to cross the divide between species. As if finding love isn't hard enough sometimes...

(Adapted from an original post on Backward Momentum, February 14 2012)

5 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

You are mazing, Pippa. Your creativity is inspiring! I have enough problems figuring out regular romance between two people of the same species.

Pippa Jay said...

Apparently I like things complicated. 😁

Maggie Lynch said...

I'm not one who believes that "the drive to mate and perpetuate the species" equates to love. Instead, I think that is simply an instinct developed through evolution. For me, love is much more of a relationship and thought process reinforced by specific behaviors. Yes, the chemicals induced during sex do mess with that thought process--many of the same chemicals that are induced with certain kinds of drugs that cause addiction. But as humans we can overcome those chemicals and sort them out if we are taught how to do that.

In terms of how does that work with a biologically incompatible partner? One of the first books I read that really dealt with this in both an interesting and possibly correct way was Octavia Butler's Bloodchild, followed by the Xenogenesis Trilogy. I wouldn't say it was love, but it was about a completely alien species using captive humans as incubators for their young. In the trilogy, some of the humans and aliens do find a way to form a bond of mutual respect. Again, I'm not sure I would call it love as much as trusting familiarity.

I would highly recommend those books to an SF writer because they are sooooo amazing in their conception, the themes, and in really thinking about the fears of being taken over by an alien species. Born from the narrative of slaves and their masters, Butler makes the stories realistic yet removed from that inspirational beginning.

Pippa, do you include chemicals in your books about alien love? Have you ever created a non-humanoid alien as a mate for a human? I haven't tried it--mostly because I'm lazy and don't want to figure out all those parts and chemicals--but I admire anyone who even gives a shot.

Pippa Jay said...

I read the Xenogenesis books back when I was a teen but although the concepts and ethics interested me, I didn't like the forced consent feel. I haven't gone into chemicals for alien love (although I have for medication and genetics). I do have a couple of non-humanoid alien as a 'mate' but did cheat a little - one could adopt a semi humanoid shape temporarily, another was an incorporeal entity that went on to adopt a human form for a time. They are both a bit more a meeting of minds.

Maggie Lynch said...

I like your "cheat" of temporary humanoid shape.