Thursday, February 18, 2021

Kissing and journal making

 Happy Thursday from sooooo cold Michigan! Besides being really cold outside, we have been very blessed compared to so many others.



The sun was out but it was only in the single digits... 
You know it's cold when Milo and Charlie don't get wet :-)



But I'm not here to chat about the cold, the ice, or the snow, let's talk about.... 


Love is a slow build in my mind. I know that many people believe in love at first sight and it makes for great movies and books but for me it needs to be built. One of the keys ways to build love is through kisspense.



I strive for kisspense often in my writing... keeping the reader and characters on the edge. Will they kiss??? Won't they kiss??? This a video of the history of Draco and Hermione from Harry Potter building kisspense... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD30RRRvADM

What is your favorite will they or won't they couple?

Kissing just isn't an expression of love it's a way to 'refilling the love' well. As writer, not only do I like to create kisspense but I have a lot - and I mean a lot - kissing scenes in my books. I use different kiss scenes to create different moods in my characters not just desire. My characters kiss...
for reassurance...
to comfort....
to say sorry...
when they don't know what to say...

And because of all these reasons, characters in all types of genre not just romance kiss. I have found that just like the couples I write about need recharging aka kissing, I need to refill my creative writing well as do most writers. Just like every kiss is different but has the same the end result (intense good feelings - I'm keeping my kissing positive feelings for this blog).

Refilling my creative well almost always includes a nonwriting creative activity. While I enjoy reading, and do it daily, it's more of a relaxation thing for me.

Over the last couple of years, the thing I have found that 'refills' my creative well is making journals. I mostly do this alone but Charlie does make journals too :-)

some of the journals Charlie and I have made


I know... you guys thought it would have something to do with doughnuts didn't you???
Doughnuts are like reading, they bring me peace and joy but don't do a lot for feeding my muse. The same with walking and taking pictures - it brings me joy and peace but doesn't do anything for my creative well. 

So just as a kiss isn't always a prelude to romance not all things that you enjoy will have the same benefit. 

And of course, I couldn't have a post about kissing without saying something about famous kissing scenes... 

I can already hear the gasp but I'm not a fan of Jack and Rose of Titanic fame and I'm even less of a fan of the Twilight kissing. I know I know but thankfully we don't live in a one kiss fits all world :-) 

What is your favorite kiss scene? My favorite kiss and kisspense scenes are from the movie Benny and Joon. I love everything about this movie. 

Thanks for stopping by! And until next month.







5 comments:

Liz Flaherty said...

I loved this. Right there with you on the kisspense!

Diana McCollum said...

Kisspense? Never heard that term, but now I dearly love it!!! What a great way to think about the kissing scenes or first kiss scenes. Great post!

There are so many movies that I've watched waiting for that first kiss, and generally it doesn't disappoint. Especially in the Hallmark movies.

Judith Ashley said...

Oh Lyncee, one of your very best posts. I'd not heard of "Kisspense" either and to be honest, haven't thought of kissing in my writing in quite the way that you describe. How wonderful to have a new frame for my next book!

And I agree about creativity. Right now I walk to keep leg strength up. No peace, no joy, no creativity just now. However, when I'm struggling with a scene, I do go for a walk and that clears my brain enough that ideas percolate. When reading these days, I almost always have some aspect of the craft of writing in mind and look for how the author implements or doesn't implement it.

I did miss seeing a picture of Charlie and Milo this time.

Oh, and about your Journals, do you sell them? And if so, what are your prices. That could be a great gift for someone who does a lot of journaling.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Great post, Lyncee. I love the term "kisspense"!

Maggie Lynch said...

Love "kisspense"! Also loved your comparison to the will they or won't they question. For me it wasn't the Draco-Hermione bond, it was the Hermione-Ron bond. When everyone thought it would be her with Harry, it was Ron all along. :)

As to my favorite kissing scenes in movies? Shrek and Fiona because he loves her as she is. The "practice kissing" in Some Kind of Wonderful between tomboy, Watts, and Keith who is practicing the kiss before he goes out with the popular girl he thinks he wants. Of course, then we have to wait until the end for Keith to figure out his real love is his best friend, Watts.

My favorite of all time is when Maria and Captain Von Trapp kiss while at the same time singing "Something Good." That was truly "kisspense" for me even at the tender age of 12. :)