Wednesday, April 21, 2021

'Laughter is the closest distance between two people.'

 

Isn't that a fabulous quote (from the late comedian/pianist Victor Borge). It's a scientific fact that laughing makes you feel better because it releases our 'feel good' hormone, endorphin. If you're with someone, and you're laughing together and you're feeling good, then it's bound to create a bond between you. If someone were to ask you what attributes you wanted in a 'perfect partner', I suspect a good sense of humor would be right up there. 

Sharing laughter shows you're on the same wavelength as the other person. You have something in common. When something makes you feel good, you want to share it, you want someone else to feel good too. So, I would like to share this meme which never fails to make me smile and, for reasons I can't even fathom, just really tickles me. I think it's a combination of the cute pic and the play on words. But our senses of humour are all different and maybe this doesn't make you laugh and that's what makes us human - our differences.

I think it's because I'm a writer that it's clever words in movies and tv shows that make me laugh rather than supposedly comedic situations. To be honest, I'm more partial to drama than comedy but if I find something that does tickle my funny bone, I'm hooked and will binge. One show I will watch over and over is Big Bang Theory, I think because I love the characterisation and great writing. One show on Netflix I've just discovered is Superstore for the same reason. 

Sometimes I feel bad that as a romance writer, romcom movies don't appeal as much as angsty relationship dramas, but there have been a few along the way which made it to my 'loved that movie' list : Chasing Amy (an oldie but such a goodie), Somethings Gotta Give, Fifty First Dates and of course the classic Bridget Jones Diary. One hugely popular movie that I feel gives me both the chuckles and a bit of angst is Love Actually. 

While we watch our movies and shows because we know we're going to get a laugh, the thing that gives the most pleasure are those unexpected, spontaneous moments when you just crack up. I love it when something happens, or someone says something, and I laugh till I cry and can't catch my breath or talk. Those moments don't happen that often, but when they do it's such a special thing and when it's with my partner, it's just another level of intimacy to be so silly together. 

That old saying that 'laughter is the best medicine' really has something to it. 

 Andra writes steamy romances across contemporary, historical and paranormal. See all her books on Amazon, or on her website.

2 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Andra, I also love the 'surprise' laugh in a book or show...that out of the blue remark that brings more than a smile to my face - perhaps not that big belly laugh or so much so I can't breathe and tears stream - but my heart is lifted and after a break to savor the joy, I eagerly read on.

Deb N said...

So true, Andra - Laughter is the best medicine. And I laughed out loud / loved the quack meme.