Saturday, April 10, 2021

Making ‘Em Laugh by Julie Cameron

If you ask me what my favorite book is, I will most likely fall into a trance and tell you that you are asking the impossible of me. Hopefully, however, this will spark a conversation about all the great books we’ve both read, and perhaps we’ll each pick up a few new titles to add to our “To Be Read” list.

JULIE CAMERON

I do, sort of, maybe, kind of, possibly have a favorite sub-genre of Romance though, and that would be the Romantic Comedy. I don’t necessarily mean the and-craziness-ensues-type of comedy where the characters find themselves in mad-cap adventures, although if sufficiently entertaining, I enjoy that, too. What I really love is the witty banter, especially between the love interests. If they can verbally spar with each other and make me laugh, I’m hooked.

But humor is not an easy thing to pull off, especially in the written word. A stand-up comedian will get instant feedback as to whether their humor is being well-received and can adjust on the spot if it is not. As a writer, it is more difficult to know how your wit is coming across, and that can be stressful.

At a table reading for my Christmas Spirit screenplay I was surprised (and thrilled) every time they laughed in all the right places. But it was an anxious time waiting and wondering if it would flop. Because of this experience, I believe I am more sympathetic (even empathetic) as a Content Editor when it comes to my comedy writing clients. I have a healthy respect for any writer who can create it subtly and with panache. 

Not everyone can pull humor off though, so if this isn’t something that comes naturally to you, don’t push it or it will most likely come out flat. 

?????????????????

Like anything else in learning something new, practice, practice, practice. If you want to add more humor to your writing, read the masters. There are many gifted Romantic-Comedy writers out there, so read different types and see what resonates the most with you, then write in your own style and voice (please notice that I did not just tell you to write what they write – that would be plagiarism).

If you want to see how it is done, here are a few examples: Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Nobody’s Baby But Mine with its sharp, quick-witted banter especially between the heroine and hero; Kristan Higgins, Now That You Mention It, which blends wonderful dialogue and funny antics (oh, lordy, the scene with the bird!); and Darynda Jones’ Charley Davidson series has all of the above in abundance.

And in case you’re wondering, no, I am not saying that these are my favorite books. They are certainly among them though!

BIO:  Julie Cameron is an author of award-winning novels with diverse experience in content editing, consulting, writing, blogging, screenwriting, and self-publishing. She is a flexible and adaptable mentor and coach working with both published and non-published authors through Landon Literary.


2 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Julie, thanks for guesting with us this weekend! I do like the books I read to have moments where, if I don't laugh out loud, I do smile. And while I used to go to the movies or watch them on t.v., I haven't done that in decades. However, it is a series of movies that immediately come to mind when I think of humor...The Pink Panther series with Peter Sellers. I watched some of them numerous times and would start laughing even before the scene started. Good way to start my weekend - thinking of romance and comedy and seeing flickers out my office window!

Sarah Raplee said...

I agree that some people have humor as a part of their natural voice, which they can hone by learning from the greats. I like witty banter, too, and self-deprecating humor. One way to show character arch is to have a character with humorous internal dialog gradually morph from sarcastic humor to more self-deprecating humor.

Thanks for Guesting with us!