Thursday, May 20, 2021

Notebook anyone?

 While I haven't been around for Romancing the Genre's for ten years, I know I have been very blessed for the time I have been. 


There is so much wonderful content shared on here and everyone is so nice. Let's have a doughnut (or several) to celebrate and talk about notebooks. Besides doughnuts, notebooks are an addiction of mine. I have sooooo many...

Why do I have so many? Well, because... because I do. And since it's the blog's 10th anniversary, I thought I share with you my top 10 things to do with notebooks.

  

  • Your five senses: what you see, smell, hear, taste and touch every day.
  • A list of your doings each day. Author Austin Kleon keeps a “logbook.” In this post, he writes, “…keeping a simple list of who/what/where means I write down events that seem mundane at the time, but later on help paint a better portrait of the day, or even become more significant over time. By sticking to the facts I don't pre-judge what was important or what wasn't, I just write it down.”
  • What makes you happy, what makes you smile.
  • What you what to know more about. For instance, your notebook might be a list of questions and their answers (and likely more questions). It’s a powerful thing to be able to pose questions and seek out their answers; to explore and examine and investigate. In many places, people don’t have this right.
  • Other people’s conversations - this is a writer's thing :-)
  • Quotes that inspire you, make you smile, or remind you of someone or something.
  • Your hopes and dreams, and how you’ll make them happen.
  • Places you want to visit and why.
  • All the different things you want to create. Today. Next week. Next month.
  • Books you’d like to read, and your thoughts on the ones you’ve read.

There are so many more ways... 
What are some of your favorite ways to use a notebook?

 

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh I LOVE notebooks. I have several that I use for different things, and quite a collection I haven’t even cracked open yet.

Luanna Stewart said...

Another lover of notebooks here! I use one as a modified bullet journal, another as a daily diary, another to keep track of notes from webinars, another with notes, ideas, characters for a new series...you get the idea. Plus several on my bookshelf, all new and pristine and unblemished, that are waiting their turn.

Judith Ashley said...

Who knew! I'm not one to journal...started a few times but I don't think I made it longer than a few weeks or maybe a month. (I've a friend who has decades worth of journals). I do keep calendars (2 for work and 2 for beauty) and task lists - on a piece of paper that I save for sometimes years as they get tucked into my tax receipts. Oh, and I have those yellow legal-type pads (not the long ones). That's where I keep my notes for tasks for things like this blog, organizations I belong to and agree to do stuff). When a sheet is full or the tasks completed it goes into a pile/notebook for that group.

Hmm, seems complicated writing it out but it does work for me. At one point I attempted to do things on my computer but I can look something up faster the way I organize than I could even get my computer up and running much less do something on my phone.

And I believe you make notebooks/journals for people don't you, Lyncee?

Maggie Lynch said...

What a great idea for a post! I have always been a notebook person, but they rarely end up being used as I intended. I start off well, with intentions of being well-organized, having checklists, or ideas I can easily put my hands on. But then...I give up on all that organization rather quickly as my mind is not organized and it doesn't work. (Why I don't ever buy planners anymore)

So I use them in a way that makes sense to me. I do jot down notes, task lists, character ideas, contacts in the moment. What the note book has become for me is a way to simply catch everything in my day and know it is in a bound book that I can put my hands on without looking too hard. Sometimes I have to go back weeks to find the thing I wrote down but I usually DO find it.

I also agree it really helps if they are pretty. Beauty makes me want to open it and write in it.