Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Ten. Dix. Diez. Ashara. Zehn. Tio.

May the Fourth Be With You. Now that we’ve got that out of the way...

This month’s topic is “10”. Not the movie starring the wonderful Dudley Moore and Bo Derek, but the numeral that comes after number nine, number nine, number nine...Help! Oh, lordy.

Anybody remember a candy bar costing 10 cents? I don’t, the cheapest I remember was twenty-five cents. But the liquorice cigars were a dime and the Bazooka bubble gum was ‘two for a dime’. 

The most exciting part of the countdown to a space launch is 10 seconds. As is the most exciting part to the countdown to a New Year. Heck, we could be counting down to 2022 now, if we had nothing better to do, but I bet it would get boring.  Let’s try...20,908,800...20,908,799...20,980,798...anyone bored yet? Yeah, the final 10 seconds is tons more fun.

I mentioned May the Fourth at the top of this post. Other celebrations and observances we could be celebrating and/or observing are, in no particular order:

Orthodox Easter Tuesday in Cyprus. Have I mentioned that I’ve visited Cyprus? I’d go back in a heartbeat.

Greenery Day in Japan. As you might guess, it’s a day to celebrate nature, and is marked by the planting of seeds by the Emperor and Empress. I’ve not been to Japan, but my Mum has a few times to visit a niece who lives there. She’d go back in a heartbeat as well.

Declaration of Independence Day in Latvia, which declared independence from the USSR in 1990. I’m ashamed to admit I had to look it up on a map. I knew the general area, given its former inclusion in the Soviet Union, but it’s good to know the precise location of these things. Should the subject come up in a pub quiz, for instance.

National Remembrance Day in The Netherlands, commemorating all Dutch victims of war. Have I mentioned that I’ve been to The Netherlands? Another country I’d return to in a heartbeat. Also, my maternal ancestors hailed from a village in the north called Uithuizen. 

And few of us would be where we are now without the skill and talents of an incredible bunch of people who are honoured on today’s National Teacher Appreciation Day.

All told, there are 10 national public holidays celebrated around the world on this day, including National Bird Day. Now get out there and hug a bird!

3 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Luanna, I'm seeing a few "May the forth be with you" today. Did the original Star Wars debut on this day? I remember it was spring but that's as close as I can get to date or even year.

I wasn't aware you'd done as much traveling as you obviously have. I'd go back to Ireland in a heartbeat. Also Croatia, Slovenia, England, Scotland and Australia. I've not been to Wales but if I ever travel to that part of the world again, I'd definitely go there.

Work is being done in my yard today to add a few more flowers to attract the hummingbirds. Somehow none of the birds I see want my hugs although some do listen to me talking to them.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Great list, Luanna. May the Fourth be with you.

Maggie Lynch said...

Ah, a Star Wars Fan or Satirist? I sometimes find holiday Calendars very interesting, and who would have known there were 10 national public holidays celebrated on the 4th? Well you would know of course.

Thanks for some interesting reading. Now, if I could only remember all this the next time I'm playing Jeopardy with my husband (who always wins). :)