Saturday, June 12, 2021

What goes into making relationships work? Second Chances? Secret Desires? Hope?

 When I thought about writing a contemporary romance, the first thing that came into my mind was second chances. Originally, I was going to make the hero and heroine older. Then, I spoke to a friend who is much published in several genres and she told me to write something that would give everyone hope but had consequences for the hero because he’d taken the heroine for granted. 

In Secret Desires Margo and Edward join hearts and hope to be united. I’m thinking of giving them more of a challenge in the sequel vis a vis Edward’s sibling blocking their love. 

When I was growing up, my adoring mother painted rainbows for me. She told me my prince would come. I love the Cinderella story. As a child, I read it until I wore out the cover, BUT as much as I believed that there was someone out there for me to join hearts with, I never expected it to happen when I was younger. I had too much on my career agenda to accomplish. 

In today’s competitive world where many talented women are forging ahead, I still believe every girl/woman should find her prince, but in the case of Margo and Edward, they should appreciate each other on an equal playing field. In other words, they should respect what each of them brings into the relationship. Now, I’ll have to think of a title for my sequel that combines secret and career desires. More to come…

JL Regen

Learn more about J.L. Regen aka Joan Ramirez 

J.L. Regen’s book was inspired by a real life story of lovers who join hearts against many odds. 

She lives in the New York metropolitan area, is a published photojournalist, has short suspense stories online, and has taught English as a Second Language to students around the globe. 

This is her first contemporary romance. 

J.L. has also published three nonfiction books and is crafting a historical suspense and a historical family saga set in World War II. Her most recent publication is The Write Rules, a handbook on how to start your own enterprise. She is pleased to announce that her latest. an entrepreneurial handbook, The Write Rules, is starting to get recognition in England.

Check out J.L.'s website: joansbookshelf.com

You can find J.L's books at

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Desires-J-L-Regen/dp/099840991X/

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/secret-desires-j-l-regen/1125516296

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/secret-desires-12

Connect with J.L. on Social Media:

https://www.facebook.com/Secret-Desires-1819428604992553



3 comments:

Maggie Lynch said...

Equality is a very hard thing to accomplish in any relationship, but I think more difficult in a romantic one. It sounds like your book is one that would appeal to younger people today. I think it is more common for women to put their career first now and put off marriage than it was when I was young.

I always struggled with the traditional role of wife who supports everything the husband first in everything he wants to do and therefore fashions her working life (if she's not a stay-at-home mother) around his. I think that struggle still exists for some women. It takes a long time for generations of gender role beliefs to change. This was once again proven by the pandemic when more women gave up jobs to care for their children and still haven't re-entered the workforce again because of the mixed way schools and childcare are reopening.

I'll be interested to see how your sequel works out this couples relationship.

Sarah Raplee said...

Thank you for Guesting at RTG, J.L.

Your first book sounds like it explores the evolving career/personal life dynamic in romantic relationships.

Congratulations on your success in the non-fiction realm. Your new historical projects sound exciting!

Deb N said...

Yes, roles have certainly changed. Unfortunately for the guy who married me, I was a self-proclaimed feminist at the end of the 60s, early 70s, so when he would say, "I helped you by doing the dishes such-and-such a night, I would read him the riot act about it not being "helping me out" but doing equal work to take care of the family. It's taken 50 years in my lifetime and many more in history to get to a point we are at now in gender roles...and still a ton of work to be done.

Good luck, J.L., in figuring out your sequel. It's always fun to look beyond the original book to see where a couple is in their partnership.