Saturday, July 17, 2021

The Peaceful Path

by M. L. Buchman

THE WANDERING PATH

I often think that there is little stranger in the world that a writer’s journey. We set out to write one thing but create another. We begin in a favorite genre, yet eventually discover that our voice lies somewhere else. A story begins with a clear picture of a character in the writer’s head, however the character has other ideas and takes stories in unexpected directions. A writer is often the last person to know quite what they’ve written (honestly).

Writing isn’t just a creative path, it is also often a blind one with a hundred curves that the writer can’t see around until they get there. There’s a certain faith that’s required to believe that the road (or sometimes the narrow dusty path that is barely an animal track) continues around the curve—though it always does.

THE CHOSEN PATH

I’m a very peaceful person. Had I been drafted, I’d have been a conscientious objector. I got my black belt so that I could teach my kid how to defend herself in an aggressive world. My writing motto is “To Champion the Human Spirit” which is exemplified in every story I’ve written because I believe that is the path to a more peaceful future. If we can treat each other well, with respect and openness to new ideas, we will be living in a better world.

Sure, I’m saddened by the world’s news (both the human tragedies and the political idiocies), but I choose my own battle in my own way. If people feel uplifted by what I write and try to help, then I have achieved a life’s work. (That I get to make a living doing this is just a crazy bonus.)

THE UNCHOSEN PATH

And yet I write primarily military (military romantic suspense, retired military romance, and, most recently, military/political technothriller). I never served. I don’t come from a military family. (Dad did two years in WWII, mostly to avoid flunking out of college the way his old roommate tells it. But he never spoke about those times working as an anchorman on minesweeper barge that ranged up and down the US East Coast.) Note that I didn’t say I wrote “about the military.” I don’t have the expertise to do that. But I definitely write in the military; a very curious place for a pacifist to land.

I came to it by a curious path. In my second novel, a science fiction space opera that will never again see the light of day, I wrote a “general of the opposing troops.” He was laughed out of the critique room. After far too many revisions, it was acceded that he was finally “at least male.” Knowing this was a weakness in my writing (I write mostly from the viewpoint of strong women), I began to research “men.” I decided that the best place to begin was with elite forces memoir—straight from the “man’s mouth” so to speak. I was specifically interested in those who had chosen the military as a career, not just in for a few tours but rather as a life’s path.

I began with US Navy Seal Chuck Pfarrer’s autobiography Warrior Soul and went on from there. The more I read, the more I came to understand these men (invariably) and their choices. (When female warrior memoir emerged, Shoot Like a Girl, Ashley’s War, Soldier Girls… I certainly plunged into those as well.)

Several interesting things came to light for me. Some obvious, some less so. Not one of these people had joined the military because they liked to fight. Not one of these people thought that war was in any way a good thing. “For God and Country” was not a major theme for the warriors who chose to make a career of the military. Trying to make the world a better place, however, was a major theme. To stop the horror that others were perpetrating on the innocent was also important. The true core? The team. People who stayed in for ten, twenty, thirty years, were doing it because they had made a family of their team. 

THE HIGHER CAUSE & THE TEAM

This is the theme that captured my attention as a writer, and it is a story I’ve been writing ever since. Whether it is a light contemporary romance like my Where Dreams series, an action-adventure political technothriller like my Miranda Chase series, or a military romantic suspense like my Night Stalkers, there is always the higher cause and the team.


The higher cause is invariably: a better world. A better, happier, more peaceful place to be. And whether the team is a romantic couple of two people or an entire company in the military, that “team” strives for that better world with all of their heart and passion.

So, as we celebrate Independence Day (25 countries place their Independence Day in July and, while Canada never declared independence, July includes Canada Day to celebrate the forming of the dominion, so call it 26), I look to so many militaries fighting for peace.

It may sound incongruous, but it isn’t. One only needs to read the news on any day of the year to see that it isn’t. There are so many empires based upon ego and repression and “us versus them” that it is heart-rending. And if someone doesn’t fight back against such avarice and greed, it will dominate.

THE CHOICE

So, as a writer, I curiously found my path to touting peace lies through the eyes of the military. It can be a force to help rather than hinder. I wish we could live in a world where there was no need for the military. Curiously, every warrior biography I’ve read and every service person I’ve spoken with agrees.

Until we can, I found my voice for peace in my writings of the military.

What choice do you make? What story do you try to tell with your writing, with your day job, with what books you recommend to others, with your interaction with every person you come in contact with? Every day is your opportunity to change the world for the better. It doesn’t matter how small the action. Millions of people all taking tiny actions toward a more peaceful world is the vision I hold. Please ask yourself how you do that. I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.

 

BIO

USA Today and Amazon #1 Bestseller M. L. "Matt" Buchman has 70+ contemporary and military romance novels, and action-adventure thrillers. Also 100+ short stories and lotsa audiobooks. Booklist says: 3x “Top 10 Romance of the Year” and among “The 20 Best Romantic Suspense Novels: Modern Masterpieces.” NPR and B&N say: “Best 5 Romance of the Year.” PW declares: “Tom Clancy fans open to a strong female lead will clamor for more.” A project manager with a geophysics degree, he’s designed and built houses, flown and jumped out of planes, solo-sailed a 50’ sailboat, and bicycled solo around the world…and he quilts. 

More at: www.mlbuchman.com. 

9 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

I believe the road to peace is with each of us taking personal responsibility for making those daily peaceful choices. I will admit it isn't always easy to keep my temper quiet but with a couple of deep breaths and dis-engaging in some way from the interaction, I can go forward in a more peaceful manner. For me the other part of my puzzle is to sort through those things I can control (myself), those things I cannot control (anyone else) and then look at what bits or pieces of those large global issues I might be able to influence with my choices. Knowing what my core values are makes that last part easier.

M. L. Buchman said...

Hi Judith,
Absolutely. It is those little choices we make, our daily actions as we touch others around us, that are likely to make the most difference. If I can make someone smile, they're that much more likely to smile at the next person. There is such power in the simplest action.

And that action doesn't even require a different person. I used to have a terrible time with...not "road rage" but certainly severe "road frustration." And then one day I realized that someone out there, the one whose accident (perhaps life altering or ending) that had caused the traffic problem was having a MUCH worse day than I was. All my frustration went away and now I try to send them good thoughts and be patient. That action means that my next interaction will be colored by peace and sympathy rather than anger.

Every little bit helps, Matt

Maggie Lynch said...

I am so glad you talked about and have learned that many in the military don't join to fight and make war. They join to make peace and to help others be protected, including a belief they are protecting citizens of the United States. Whether history declares that wars, occupations, sanctions work is another thing all together.

I remember when our son was serving in Iraq, shortly after the U.S. invasion and the killing of Saddam Hussein. Though our son often had disagreements (not spoken just thoughts) with some of the decisions of military and political leadership, and what he viewed as lack of preparedness, he did ultimately believe in the mission. He believed he was helping the Iraqi people in the aftermath of the invasion. They were patrolling and getting rid of mines. They were helping to build infrastructure in the absence of leadership. They were providing a safe path for goods and services. They were providing options for certain groups of people that had been repressed during the Hussein regime. And he believed they were helping them to learn to live within a democratic society with elected leadership and some semblance of representation.

Ultimately he left the military after 10 years because he no longer believed that the use of violence as an instrument of statecraft was effective, and he no longer believed that he was helping to find peace as a soldier.

I think each of us who search for peace and ways to make it happen face that difficult analysis of if we are doing enough and if it is working. The difference is that for soldiers those questions deal with the taking of lives or feeling a responsibility for large groups of people when one doesn't have much voice in the decisions as to how that operation works out.

I believe future military action will be focused on other ways to "control" a country and its leadership (e.g., economic and network/internet infrastructure control) than direct violence on its citizens through ground or air wars. Will it be more peaceful or better? I don't know.

Thank you for humanizing military personnel in your stories and for highlighting them for the heroes most of them are. To risk ones life for a cause, or for people you don't even know or understand, is the ultimate commitment. I think that sense of responsibility and taking care of others remains with most military personnel when they become civilians as well. Perhaps in many ways that is their ongoing commitment to a chance for peace--stepping forward with the hope and belief they are helping others to have a better life.

Barbara Rae Robinson said...

Interesting perspective, Matt. I agree that peace is preferable to war. Anytime. My younger brother was drafted right out of high school and sent to Vietnam. It was a frustrating year for him. He said that by day the people would share a coke with you and by night they would shoot at you. You couldn't tell the enemies from the good guys. I also lived through World War II, as a child in Los Angeles. When the air raid sirens would go off, we had to turn out all the lights and my parents and grandparents would put heavy blankets over the windows, then light a few candles. I can remember eating dinner by candlelight. Everyone feared that Japan would bomb the coastal cities after they dared to bomb Pearl Harbor. Too many choices are based on fear.

M. L. Buchman said...

I've read a lot of military memoir to better understand my characters, and so many of them left the service because of the political leadership (or rather non-leadership) and their highly questionable motivations and methods.

Yes, there must be a better way. Do I pretend I can see it? Not for a second. In Iraq and Afghanistan, I think we learned that heavy air and ground wars are ineffective. Most of the successes were in the Green Beret-style community action (they typically spend more time as liaisons and builders than as fighters) and spec ops (precision targeting of individuals). It wasn't enough, but I think it will shape future conflict structures.

Yet, I've also read a great deal about the Pentagon and its internal operations. Bigger, better, faster, MORE expensive is a mantra. Not, does it make sense in the first place? Does it stroke my ego? And it's apparently always been this way. If you ever want a horrifying view read "Boyd: the fighter pilot who changed the art of war" by Coram. He successfully circumvented the Pentagon machine not once but twice. And was thoroughly tromped for it.

Crystal ball into the future? As long as we have the Pentagon, the Kremlin, and the CCP duking it out, we'll have stupid, brutal wars. More of them will be cyber and spec ops, and will achieve so little. Conflicts of power rather than conflicts to aid.

Can we outlive this generation of leaders? I can only hope, but I don't think it will help.

I think the solution is indicated by the relative successes of community and spec ops teams. Our best hope for the future lies in the actions of small groups of like-minded people. Look at what the Gates Foundation is doing about disease. Look at Doctors Without Borders. Just last week the US Space Force said that the next war might be in space and we need to be ready. Yet it is a few individuals who are affecting the greatest change there: Branson, Bezos, Musk, and a hundred little firms you probably never heard of. All of these and more are shaping the future at a non-governmental level. This is where I place my own hopes for the future.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

I'm chiming in late, but thank you for this post. My dad was career Army, and I was a Army brat. You expressed the reasons for military service better than most of us can.

M. L. Buchman said...

Thanks Lynn. That means a lot. As I didn't serve, it is actually my greatest fear, that I somehow do a disservice to those who did and that I've chosen to write about.

Deb N said...

Matt, I love this post and one I will reread several times. And, reread the comments to absorb it all.

M. L. Buchman said...

Hi Deb. My writing motto "to champion the human spirit" is not merely the common theme I found to be in all my writing. It is my answer to how we find a peaceful future (or reach one at all for that matter). It is through the individual action of good-hearted, good-minded people that all our hopes rest. I'm fighting for a brighter, more peaceful world one book at a time.