Thursday, August 26, 2021

A Path Back to Thankfulness - Alice Rosewell

What am I thankful for?

Part I.

I find this a difficult question to answer at the moment.

Of course, I am thankful for many things large and small; family, friends, a secure home, the NHS, being born in a time of antibiotics and vaccines in a country where a woman’s right to education and equality is taken for granted… But the pandemic has sucked all feelings of pleasure from my mind, and energy from my body; thankfulness has become an idea rather than a reality.

If that isn’t a description of depression, I don’t know what is.

So, if depression is on one side of the coin and thankfulness is on the other, how do I build thankfulness back into my life?

I was reminded of a book I read a couple of years ago which had a big impact on me at the time, but has been buried in a storage unit since I moved house just over a year ago.


The book, “Lost Connections” by Johann Hari, lists seven things we need to be connected to in order not to get depressed, so I went through them as a kind of therapy to try and reconnect with a life I am grateful for.

It was an extremely useful exercise and I recommend this book wholeheartedly to anyone who is trying to find a way through and out of depression. One of the Lost Connections struck me particularly: The natural world.

I have become a bit of a hermit over the last year, hardly even venturing into my garden; and there is no excuse for it. I have moved to an area where there are many places to walk. Woods, fields and riverbank are accessible from my front door and when we were restricted by law to only one hour a day, I did go out. With the restriction lifted, I constantly put it off and put it off until it got too late.

 

Part II


I took a break from writing at this point and my daughter called. She drove over and we went for a lovely walk in the sunshine, stopping for a cup of tea at a local café, and gathering blackberries and elderberries on the way home.

That evening I reviewed the things I am thankful for and these three stood out:

The eternal - to enjoy the seasons and feel connected to the yearly cycle of life.

The personal - to spend time with someone I love and who loves me, sharing news and ideas and plans.

The endeavours of others - everything from the person who made our tea at the café, to the authors of inspiring books and the inventors of technology.

 



And today, of course, I am thankful to this blog and the person whose inspired idea for this month’s theme set my feet back on the path to thankfulness.

 


My name is Alice Rosewell and I live in the city of Bristol in the South West of England (UK), the city where I was born.  I write in British English, so I hope that American readers will not be put off by British spelling of some words.

The first story I remember writing was at primary school, about the age of 7. This was followed by a dry spell which latest about 50 years during which I got through University, brought up a couple of kids, and had a successful career  in IT.

I had the outline of a story which I’d dreamed up one evening in the pub, but that sat in a folder for about a decade until I got made redundant for the 2nd time in one year! This event coincided with the Kindle becoming mainstream, and Indie publishing an option. I dusted off my few pages of ideas and got to work. For the last few years I have been writing contemporary women’s fiction, publishing three novels: Irrelevant Women, The Kite Makers, and my latest, An End to Dreaming.  A good friend described my writing as intriguing, uplifting, and will not give you nightmares!  I think that about sums it up.

5 comments:

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Thanks for the lovely post, Alice. It's a good reminder to all of us to find those connections. Hope your depression continues to lift away.

Maggie Lynch said...

Alice, I also find the natural world to be soothing and to give me a glimpse of beauty in a time where beauty may seem illusive. Thank you for your suggestion of the book Lost Connections. I have several friends who suffer depression long before the pandemic and it has only be exacerbated in the past two years. I will definitely pass this along to them.

For yourself, I hope you force yourself to get outside more and experience those things that bring you hope. Four months ago I started a dance/exercise class virtually that is a combination of yoga, peaceful martial arts (e.g., tai chi), and dancing rhythms and easy steps. When we were allowed to return to the community center to dance together, now again with masks and six feet apart, I was ecstatic to be in a space larger than the three or feet I have in front of my computer at home.

For me, this constant movement for an hour (some slow but strengthening, others faster and aerobic) creates enough diversity of steps and actions and concentration that I must get out of my mind/worries in order to participate. That clearing of my mind helps me return home with different eyes for the world around me and inside me. It's not a cure for depression and depending on the day, does not stave my worries for the entire day. But it does remind me I can do something. And, even when I don't feel like it, I force myself to go to that class four days a week in order to return to myself a little bit more whole.

May your walks in nature, your time with your daughter, and anything else you can find to carry you through these times multiply and offer you peace.

Judith Ashley said...

What a lovely and timely post, Alice. Thank you for sharing about "Lost Connections". I hadn't heard about that book. I have a lovely yard that I look out on from my computer. It brings me many blessings including tomatoes! However, the weather where I live has not been conducive for me to sit out in the yard. Either heat, humidity, pollen counts and a few days of smoke-filled air have kept me inside...but not every day is like that. Where I live, we are now mask-mandated, even outside.

I do hope you are able to take more walks with your daughter and stop for a lovely cup of tea. Inquiring minds want to know if you had biscuits or scones with your tea. Thinking about your post about your favourite biscuits.

Alice Rosewell said...

Maggie, thank you so much for your thoughtful and uplifting words. By coincidence I have just signed up for a Tai Chi class myself. Many years ago I visited China, and always stopped to watch people practicing in the parks. Sometimes in large groups, sometimes in ones and twos. It had a wonderful calming effect and I could see that many were very elderly. I hope I manage to move as gracefully as some of them.

Alice Rosewell said...

Judith,
The answer is... Cake! Coffee and walnut cake to be precise. Always a particular favourite of mine, but it seems to be going out of fashion a little (supplanted by carrot cake), so I always indulge if it's ever on the menu.