Monday, August 30, 2021

My Crazy Life as an Author by Collette Cameron

No Lady for the Lord Regency Romance
No Lady for the Lord

I never intended to be an author. I was an avid romance reader who thought maybe someday—in the far distant future—I might write a book someday. Certainly not fiction and assuredly not a romance novel. I could never master the dialogue. Or so I believed.

Fast forward eleven years and forty-eight published books since I typed that first fatal word and fell in love with writing. No one told me that every aspect of my life would become consumed with writing, dialogue, plotting, and a myriad of other minor details.

COLLETTE CAMERON

My mind is always working on my current work in progress, and quite often, musing about the next book or a new idea for a novel. Frequently, my most brilliant ideas occur in the shower. Yes, I have waterproof paper and a pencil on the shower wall.

If I’m stuck on a plot point, I just let my mind mull it over while I do something else, and inevitably, an answer presents itself. According to my family, “I have to finish this book” will be inscribed on my tombstone. Either that or, “I’m way behind in my writing.”

I keep a notepad in my purse, in my car, and with me on the sofa while I watch TV to jot ideas and record names of places and people. I have an entire journal dedicated to names I come upon. There’s no such thing as a vacation or day off for my mind. My muse never rests, and she’s a selfish creature. If she can’t relax, then neither can I.

On the one hand, that’s great. I am always coming up with new book ideas. On the other hand, it’s a pain in the rear-end. I can’t possibly write fast enough to ever write all of the story ideas I have.

To Seduce a
 Highland Scoundrel

My son shared an interesting fact while we were in Hawaii earlier this month, and I immediately began plotting how I could use it in one of my stories. That happens all of the time.

One drawback from having done all of the research I have for my Regency and Scottish Historicals is that it drives me batty to see a historical inaccuracy in a movie, TV show or series. My family doesn’t care about inaccuracies, and I’ve been told quite bluntly that I’m not allowed to share my wealth of knowledge.

I’m working on two books right now. LOVE LESSONS FOR A LADY is the 3rd book in my Daughters of Desire: Scandalous Ladies Series, and the other is an inspirational. I have ideas for several different genres too. Again, there are not enough hours in the day for me to write all of the books I want to.

I’ve slowed down a bit in the last year and am taking time to enjoy life outside of my author world. I don’t ever foresee myself not writing unless I become unable to, but I’ll have fifty books written and published by the end of 2021. I think I’m allowed a little slack.

My muse won’t agree.

I’d love to connect with you.

Check out my author world: www.collettecameron.com

Join my Reader Group: Collette’s Chèris VIP Reader Group

Subscribe to my newsletter and receive a FREE Book: bit.ly/TheRegencyRoseGift

Facebook: http://facebook.com/collettecameronauthor

BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/collette-cameron

USA Today Bestselling, award-winning author COLLETTE CAMERON® scribbles Scottish and Regency historical romance novels featuring dashing rogues, rakes, and scoundrels and the strong heroines who reform them. Blessed with an overactive and witty muse that won’t stop whispering new romantic romps in her ear, she’s lived in Oregon her entire life, although she dreams of living in Scotland part-time. A confessed Cadbury chocoholic, you’ll always find a dash of inspiration and a pinch of humor in her sweet-to-spicy timeless romances®. 

8 comments:

Alice Rosewell said...

Congratulations on your awesome productivity. I hope your family, friends and health continue to support you on your way to the next milestone. My own target to complete a trilogy this year has foundered, but I'm consoling myself with the thought that, while Barbara Cartland published 728 (yes 728) books, Jane Austen published only 6. Next year...
All the best, Alice

Deb N said...

Collette - I laughed out loud at ideas in the shower. Me too!!!! I really do need to find a waterproof way to record ideas. Until then, I have been known to repeat the idea over and over and then with a towel wrapped around me and water dripping, I run to my computer to record ideas. Good thing I live alone :-) Huge congrats on 50 by year-end. I do love your books. And here's to another 50, after that!

Judith Ashley said...

Collette, thanks for being our guest! And the Blog Queens apologize for the wimpy headline. Blogger made some changes and we've yet to figure them out. And congratulations on the Big 50! What an accomplishment!

Collette Cameron said...

Thanks for having me again! It's always such a pleasure to be here.

Maggie Lynch said...

Huge congrats on reaching 50! You have truly been prolific and it seems you have thousands of fans who absolutely love your stories and constantly beg for more. Here's to at least 50 more in the next decade or two.

Paty Jager said...

Collette, you and I are so similar! Except for the shower. I rarely get an idea in the shower. Probably because I take short showers. LOL But I plan to write until the stories no longer come or I am unable to write a sentence that makes sense. Congratulations on your wonderful career as a writer!

Sarah Raplee said...

Great post, Colette. Congratulations!!! Can't wait to read some of the books I've missed!

Diana McCollum said...

Great post! congrats on reaching 50 books!