Friday, September 24, 2021

A month of change...

I've always espoused the thought that change is good. It may not seem like it at the time the change is occurring, but hindsight having perfect vision, inevitably I realize whatever changed in my little universe was for the better. I do wish, sometimes, though, the things that change wouldn't do so in such a concurrent and fast manner, but take a little time and allow me to settle into everything.

Case in point: September 2021. I'd missed a six month check up for my routine biannual dermatology appointment due to Covid, so I'd gone an entire year without getting checked out. To the average person in my age group, this wouldn't have been a problem. For me, it is - and proved to be. I have a history of melanoma. I've already been treated five times for it in the last three years and my derm guy had me on a three month, then six month return just to ensure all was well. The September appointment proved all was not. After three biopsies, two of which came back with recurring melanoma, I am now due for surgery this week to -hopefully - correct the issue. The change in my status from thinking I was cured, to finding out I was not was a bit...disconcerting, to say the least. 

 The day after my biopsies I received a call from my mother that my stepfather was being taken to the emergency room with severe stomach pain. Long story short - he had to have an emergency cholecystectomy ( gall bladder removal) and required a 3 day post op stay due to his age and cardiac status. My mother, who is now wheelchair bound due to her recent hip fracture, needed to be cared for in her home, so, as the only child, I drove back and forth daily to the state they live in and made sure she was fed, bathed, and okay. 

Once he was discharged, the change in his physical status was profound. He is slower, less sure of himself walking, and if I had to put money on it, a little less quick mentally, as well. The change in their lifestyle one year ago, prior to Covid, has been profound for them - and not in a good way. 

 Two bright spots of change also occurred, simultaneously with everything else. September brought forth the birth of my first grandson - two weeks early. He came into the world at 2 am on a Thursday and none of our lives - especially my daughter's and her husband's -- will ever be the same. And I signed a book deal with a new publisher for me for 5 books to be put into the world in the next 2 years. This is my first new publisher in three years and I am trying to adapt to all the change not being an indie author at the moment brings with it. 

 The world around me had suffered through a ridiculous amount of change this past month as well. The removal of troops from Afghanistan; the rising spread of the delta variant; the number of deaths from Covid; the lingering issues with the economy; hurricanes, fires, and tornados. It's been a momentous month - and not in all good ways. 

 Do I still think change is good? Yes, in the long run, I do. But as I said, I just wish it would take a little slower to happen at times so I could catch up and not feel as if I am always chasing my tail to do so. 

 Looking for me? I'm usually here: https://Peggyjaeger.com

9 comments:

Lynn Lovegreen said...

What a lot to deal with in a short time! No wonder you're wishing for a slower change period. Hang in there and give a kiss to that grand baby. Children make life sweeter.

Diana McCollum said...

What an insightful blog post! I agree September has been a lot of changes with the world, climate change has brought so many unexpected events.

Congrats on the new grandson and on signing a five book deal!! That's amazing! Who is your new publisher?
All the best!

Joan Ramirez said...

I will not stop hoping. I trust that what I want is coming to me. I can feel it.



I will keep showing up.



I will keep thinking positive thoughts.

I saw this and thought it would be a great mantra for writers. Joan Ramirez, author

Judith Ashley said...

Peggy, all I can say is "Wow!" the bullet train showed up in your life this month. I'm with you about things slowing down a bit. I also agree that hindsight does bring us more rainbows than when we are in the midst of the storm. Sending rainbows and sunlight your way! And I'm so glad you have a "derm guy" you trust. That, for me, always makes whatever the diagnoses easier to deal with.

peggy jaeger said...

Lynn I agree. Thie little boy has already touched all our lives in ways we never could have guessed.

peggy jaeger said...

Diana - Magnolia Blossom Publishing

peggy jaeger said...

Joan - very nice

peggy jaeger said...

Judith- i have such respect for my derm guy because he's brought me out of so much. It's still hard to think I was done, but then to have it reoccur. trying to think positive thoughts for the future of this condition. Having the new baby helps.

Maggie Lynch said...

Peggy, My goodness, that is a lot to contend with in a short period of time. First congrats on signing a five book deal. That is stupdendous! It is difficult to transition from indie to trad, even if you've been there before. The good news is because you've been indie you understand a lot about publishing and that gives you (I hope) the confidence to stand up for yourself and advocate for what you want/need.

Also congrats on your first grand baby. The first is special because everything is so new. All grand babies are special but the first is so new. Enjoy this new life-affirming change.

Good to know you have a trusted physician to take care of your melanoma. It is something that needs to be watched the rest of your life.

Your parents health is certainly concerning. Gall bladder removal is a difficult surgery for anyone (I had it in my 40s) but more so for elderly folks. If you haven't already done so, you might check into some of the services (many paid by medicare) that provide home care at various levels for elderly parents. There are a variety of programs, like a nurse coming in three times a week or daily for a couple hours to check that things are moving along well. Sometimes, simply having a service like a cleaner or a visitor who would know when things have changed in the wrong direction and can inform you is valuable. Or just having a backup when you aren't available to drop everything and get to their home.

My mother lives 45 minutes away, and since my father's death (nearly 8 years ago) there are many things she needs help with. Though she lives with my sister, my sister has major health issues herself. I've put in place a number of things with people who are in the same town and can check on both of them every day and services that do some cleaning and nurses who make sure medications are in order.

I wish you a wonderful upcoming year and months as you continue to navigate this time of life and rejoin the traditional publishing side of a writer's life and all that entails.