Saturday, September 25, 2021

Little Changes

by Diana McCollum

Big changes are easy to see, and sometimes hard to make. Today I want to talk about little changes that sometimes can make a big difference.

For instance, has your writing desk  or reading chair always been in the same place? Try putting it by a window or a different window. (link for best desk placement)- Look at the world through a new window. You will be surprised at the new things you see out your window. For that matter the couch on a different wall will have you looking at different pics, plants, and knick knacks.


Do you always walk the same path? Try going a different route. You may meet a new friend or see a plant you've never seen before. (some awesome front yards)-House front yards are all different and may give you a new perspective on your own front yard.

My new view from my desk!

A picture you have hanging in the hallway or a bedroom that you've always liked could move to a different location so that you and others will enjoy it more. 

New or different throw pillows can liven up a space. New kitchen curtains will do the same.

And what about YOU personally? Some easy changes that might make a big difference would be a (Pandemic hair, check out these ideas)-hairdo, pedicure and toenail polish. What about wearing a different piece of costume or real jewelry each day? I try and wear a different pair of earrings everyday. Then when I look in the mirror it makes me smile to remember who gave them to me or where I bought them.


I change up recipes all the time. Adding pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar for extra zest. Adding extra

vanilla and sugar to my pancake mix and my pancakes are always a big hit! I changed up this cake by putting almond extract in cake and icing and everyone loved it!!



I had a yoga teacher once who told me change is good for your brain. We always put our socks and shoes and pants on the same foot first everyday. Next time you do that, switch legs.

He also, suggested brushing your teeth and hair not using your dominate hand. Now that is hard and I haven't mastered it.

Welcome fall!

What small changes have you made or plan to make?




11 comments:

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Good tips, Diana. My yoga teacher told me the same thing, and I try to mix up my routines now and then--when I remember to. Habits are hard to break!

Paty Jager said...

Fun post, Diana! I do change up my walks each day and if I go a path I've gone before I usually see a rock formation I hadn't noticed before. I'll have to try the brushing the teeth and hair with my other hand. But I am ambidextrous so, it may not change things up too much. ;) All great ways to change up the mundane in your life. Thanks!

Judith Ashley said...

Small changes do make a difference on our outlook and view of life. I often change up how I put on socks and shoes and more recently take a different route on my walks. Right now I'm considering changes to do to my yard for next year because of the change in the weather. I've always had plants that thrive on the west side of the Cascades because of the rainfall. We aren't getting rain like we used to and, although not high desert, I need more drought tolerant plants in order to conserve water. This year I was caught by surprise and ended up doing massive augmental watering to keep trees and plants alive.

Diana McCollum said...

Lynn,
You are so right habits we do everyday are very hard to break or change up!

Paty,
I am ambidextrous with the calculator because when arthritis made my right hand too painful at work it was necessary to use the left.

Judith,
I know how you've struggled to keep those plants alive! More drought resistant plants would be good!

Thanks all for stopping by!

Sarah Raplee said...

You've given me a lot of ideas for changing things up a little every day. Thank you!

Diana McCollum said...

Your Welcome, Sarah!

Marcia King-Gamble said...

Little changes prevent my life from becoming routine. I even changed up the kinds of foods I eat, and that has opened up a whole other world. A change of music also exposed me to different people. Even a change of dress style will keep you fresh. Be adventurous. Be bold. Embrace change.

Diana McCollum said...

Thank you , Marcia! I love your ideas!

Maggie Lynch said...

What a wonderful post, Diana. Little things can make big differences. I'm quite fortunate in that my brain doesn't recognize "sameness" very well. I can walk the same path every day, but I notice something different each time. I've been known to commute to town for years and then suddenly notice a building or mural or something else and think it's new. 95% of the time my husband chuckles and tells me it's been there all along.

I do agree with changing your writing space. I tend to do that at least once a year--usually in December or January when I'm doing goals for the new year. I do try NOT to look out a window because it can distract me for hours. However, I do sit with one side to a window so I can turn my head and look if I need a break. I also keep it open if it's not too cold so I can hear birds and the comings and goings of every day life.

Diana McCollum said...

Maggie,
I love opening the windows and listening to the birds too! And now the little waterfall on the pond, very soothing.

I too, am known for not seeing a building etc for a long time and then notice it and my husband will say It's been there all along!

Z. Minor said...

Love your comments and found them truthful nd put new spin on how I do things
.