Wednesday, January 12, 2022

A little inspiration from visiting author Kayla Kensington

  


I’m Kayla Kensington, and I am honored to write a blog post for “Romancing the Genre.” I write inspirational and sweet romance. My first inspirational book, Finding her Family’s Love will be published by Mt Zion Ridge Press on February 1, 2022. February cannot arrive fast enough. I’m so excited.
 
What led me to write inspirational romance? Although I’ve always read and enjoyed the genre, when my husband of thirty-plus years faced health challenges, I read every inspirational romance book I could find. I wanted to provide other readers with the same comfort, encouragement, and love I discovered through inspirational romance.
 
From the age of eight when I learned in Ms. Eaton’s third-grade class that writing existed as a career, I yearned to be an author. When our teacher gave us the news that authors penned stories, she wore a green, sleeveless dress, her hair pulled back in a ponytail, and she smiled. On that May morning, the spring breeze cooled our classroom and rustled the window blinds. Although I’ve done other work, writing, my faith, and my family remain my passions.
 
When I’m not writing, reading, or swimming at our community’s pool, I am privileged to work full time as a school librarian. In my middle school, I also teach creative writing and writing lab, a class for students who need writing assistance.
 
My writing always includes contemporary issues and real-world problems. In Kendra McFarland’s case, the main character in my novel Finding her Family’s Love, she experienced emotional abuse by her late husband, which damaged her self-esteem. I applied the emotions I experienced from a long-ago, emotionally abusive relationship. In addition, I wrote an article for a major publication regarding emotional abuse. From the letters I received from the magazine readers, I knew many individuals faced the sadness and insecurity emotional abuse prompts. I hope my book brings readers peace.
 
Want to know more about Finding her Family’s Love?
 
 Widowed and pregnant, thirty-year-old Kendra McFarland doesn’t want or need a new love interest. When she meets her deceased husband’s relatives and yearns to be part of their family, her mother-in-law rejects her, blaming Kendra for her son’s accidental death. Will Pierce, her late husband’s cousin, offer her a fresh start, or will Kendra’s visit rip apart the McFarland family?

Take a look at an excerpt from Finding her Family's Love:


“Hey, you’re up, and dressed even,” Pierce said, looking in the half-open door. 

“I am, then I went back to rest. You look tired. It doesn't look like you slept out on the couch?” When she awoke earlier, she noticed the empty living room couch where she thought Pierce might have slept. The maroon pillows that decorated the couch hadn’t been moved. The matching maroon and green-striped blankets stayed folded with neat corners, exactly as they had looked yesterday. She hadn’t heard him rustle about in the second bedroom either.

“I slept under the stars. When you feel better, you should try it.”

As she sat in bed, she braided her hair, still damp and fragrant from the shower. “I’ll keep that in mind. Was that your sister and her children I heard outside? I’m sure that wasn't you cock-a-doodle-doing. Whoever it was, sounded quite rooster -ish.”

He smiled. “Can’t take the rooster sound-effects’ credit. My youngest niece has the rooster-call gift. Sorry they woke you. I learned about hips and lips today. It’s in my new vocabulary and a way to quiet them, if needed. I’ll have to try it on those loud high school students as they rumble through the school hallways.”

Sitting up straighter, she shifted her legs and let her feet dangle for a moment over the side of the bed. “I don’t need quiet. I love children’s giggles, whispers, and questions. Even the crying doesn’t bother me, never has. Could I walk to the house and say hello?”

“How ’bout I make you some breakfast? After you’ve eaten, I’ll bring them down for you to meet. Right now, my nieces are having ‘grandma time.’ It probably won’t last too long.”

“Sounds good. Do they know...?”

“Nothing, not even who you are, except that you represent the female gender. I figured you’d want to tell them.”

She took a deep breath, letting out the air slowly. “Thank you. You figured right.”


Hello there.  I'm Kayla Kensington, and I'd love to hear from you! Please consider connecting with me via social media:


3 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Kayla, you've touched on one of the main reasons writers write...stories to tell that help readers find peace, contentment, answers or just plain distraction. Love the description of Ms. Eaton and her classroom...Thank you for joining us today!

Diana McCollum said...

Your excerpt was really good. I enjoyed your blog post.

Congrats on your soon to be published book.

Maggie Lynch said...

Writing about abuse in a novel is so critical to putting a voice to that and showing how the heroine survives and is able to still find joy in life later. I applaud you for tackling the topic.