Monday, August 29, 2022

What To Do With Those Old Stories by Sue Ward Drake

What does a writer, do when faced with a closet full of printouts of old stories? Stories she’s slaved over but which failed to make the journey to published book?

There was something about the idea and characters that definitely needs to be explored. Should a writer hope to write another book with that aspect and gain some new readers?
French Quarter, New Orleans, LA

*Recycling situations and themes

Most people lean toward their comfort zones, and most authors have certain situations or themes which fascinate them. These usually appear on the page without conscious thought because they are principles the author finds important. I find myself consistently writing about characters who want to play fair and who aren’t given a chance to prove themselves. This just shows up on my pages without conscious intent.

And what about reading a second story about protective SEALs or soldiers in the same military unit? We love out Alpha heroes, right?

*Recycling characters

I don’t know about other authors, but I’ve recycled incidents from previous, non-selling manuscripts, and characters, too—or some aspect of them. As I’m hearing impaired, that disability is an easy issue to write. Well, not easy, but knowable, anyway. What makes the next hard-of-hearing or deaf character unique in my stories is their life situation and the threat they’re dealing with. And of course, they need a new name like people entering the witness protection program. LOL.

*Recycling tropes

I had a work friend who almost always ordered the same meal every time she dined at a certain restaurant. She knew exactly what she was getting and was never disappointed, unless the kitchen had hired a new chef. A secret baby plot, or a marriage of convenience can be comforting the same way a menu item can.

Stories by different writers featuring one of these traditional story setups have the same interpersonal conflict that are inherent in those situations. The fun is in discovering how the author found a unique spin.

But back to the original question. In my most recent Big Easy Brothers story (released July 12), the recycling is of my own experiences living in, and evacuating from, New Orleans. Fleeing the Storm takes place before, during, and after a Louisiana hurricane. This is Jack’s story. He’s the second oldest of the Guidry brothers, and the third to be featured in his own love story in my BIG EASY BROTHERS series.

FLEEING THE STORM

No matter what else he is, Jack Guidry, former undercover cop turned bounty hunter, is a stubborn cuss who never gives up. He works all the angles necessary to nab his fugitive—even if that means fishing for answers from lovely pastry chef Grace Comstock.

Grace isn’t talking, certainly not to the handsome rogue who suspiciously pops up everywhere she goes. All she wants is to keep her orphaned niece safe, so when a masked kidnapper ambushes them, she flees New Orleans—straight into the path of a dangerous hurricane.

She’s agreed to talk to Jack, not spend days riding out the storm with him. But that’s what happens once he saves her and the baby from drowning. Even though he denies his attraction, Jack can’t help feeling protective of this beautiful, frightened woman. When they wind up fighting for their lives, can Grace trust Jack enough to help him find his fugitive?

Sue Ward Drake
Award-winning author, Sue Ward Drake, loves using her experiences living in a farmhouse in Greece and her years in the French Quarter as fuel for her stories as often as possible. She writes contemporary romance and romantic suspense and speaks at conferences on writing suspense and disabilities. For news of the next thrilling Big Easy Brothers romantic suspense and other romances visit her website or follow her on BookBub.

Website: www.SueWardDrake.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/@SueWardDrake

Facebook: www.facebook.com/SueWardDrakeBooks

Instagram: www.instagram.com/suedrakeauthor/

Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/sue-ward-drake

11 comments:

Sue Ward Drake said...

By the Way, Facebook unilaterally changed my author page. It's only SueWardDrake. No books, even though, that's of course, what is featured. Stop by and visit.

Deb N said...

Sue - loved your take on restaurant comfort meals and romance tropes. Yes, as readers and writers, we tend to be drawn to similar books, and most likely meals. From the books I have read of yours, you paint a wonderful picture of the setting in New Orleans. Those settings really draw in the reader, placing them in the middle of the story. Thanks for guesting today on RTG. And - yes on hunky, Alpha heroes.

Barbara Rae Robinson said...

You're right on about recycling stories and characters. And setting. The story I am working on is a rerun of my very first novel started back in 1978. The story has gone through several versions and rejections. Now I'm starting over and going into the story with a different approach. Time will tell if it works.

I love reunion stories. I've made my new story into a reunion story. I just realized that.

Sue Ward Drake said...

Deb,
Thank you so much for visiting. New Orleans was a vivid place to live. And of course, if I had been visiting instead of living there and seeing the same things over and over, I might have noticed as much detail.

Barb, best luck on your reunion story. I find those a little tricky. You have to not only write the current story, but go back and invent the past and how these two separated--and why!
Then try to make the reactions consistent. I writing one in the current Christmas story. It's an enemies to lovers.

Best luck. I'm sure your story will be great! Sue

Dari LaRoche said...

Great post, Sue. So helpful for your stories to have settings and events to pull from what you have experienced or lived. I too like the comparison of using tropes to ordering off a menu.

Sue Ward Drake said...

Dari, That was pure inspiration, but I did definitely notice her eating habits. You know how it is in an office, you tend to eat with your colleagues. I know you do the same thing with your stories, too. Love your descriptions.

JENNIFER WILCK said...

So true! As a reader, I gravitate toward the same types of stories, and as a writer, I tend to stick to certain tropes. But somehow, they always end up different from each other. Luckily. ;)

Jen Wagner said...

I know as a reader I gravitate to certain tropes. They're autobuys for me. As a writer, I love the reunited h/h. Maybe because it comes with built in conflict and emotions?

Great post!

Judith Ashley said...

Sue, although doing mega-research can provide an author with the details needed to create a relatable scene or book, the fact that you've lived through Katrina (survived and thrived actually) can only give depth to this story.

Diana McCollum said...

Sue,

Your stories are really good! As I just finished "Fleeing the Storm" not too long ago, I can attest to your wonderful settings and characters! Loved that book.

I have several manuscripts in the closet, some not finished and one is finished. To pull those 'old' ones out I would have to rewrite them as they were early in my writing career.

Great post!!!

Sarah Raplee said...

Sue, I like your take on recycling situations and themes, tropes and characters. You've given me food for thought.

I'm intrigued by your RS series set in New Orleans. We lived in New Orleans a long time ago. It would be fun to revisit through your books!