Thursday, September 29, 2022

The Past Isn't Dead. It Isn't Even Past .... by Anna Taylor Sweringen

"The past isn't dead. It isn't even past." - William Faulkner, Requiem for A Nun

As a lover of history, this line of Faulkner's thrills me. Why? Because I believe what has gone before is not only always present, but also has the power in the present as well. 


Faulkner's line hit home when I took this picture many years ago from the Brooklyn promenade where the World Trade Center used to stand. That sky is broken and not empty. It's full of the lives lost, the lives forever affected by those losses and will always be.


In downtown Albuquerque there's an historic district called Old Town where they commemorate the arrival of the Spanish and the founding of Albuquerque. Plaques also share the history of the Church of San Felipe de Neri, the oldest continuing congregation in Albuquerque.


And yet as I stand in the quiet of the narrow streets and peruse the original architecture of Old Albuquerque, preserved in art shops and restaurants, Faulkner's line haunts me. Where are the plaques and markers that pay homage to the native people who occupied this land before the Spanish and the Christians laid claim to this territory? Surely their spirits are as present as the spirits I sense when I look at my broken sky picture. Surely their spirits hover around me in the streets of Old Town.



Whether seated on the Brooklyn promenade or standing in the cool quiet of the Old Town plaza, I imagine who filled this space with their energy and dreams and desires, whose legacy and lingering presence fill them now. Having been a minister, I'm already predisposed to accept realities that go beyond the five senses. No wonder I enjoy writing ghost stories as Anna M. Taylor. Well, stories dealing with spirits or supernatural energy to be more accurate because the past isn't dead. It isn't even past. Never was. Never will be.

Anna Taylor Sweringen self-publishes second chance romance gothic ghost stories in her Haunted Harlem series as Anna M. Taylor. Book Three, Always the Dead Between is slated to release October 31. In the meanwhile you can learn more about Haunted Harlem on Amazon here: http://amzn.to/355nKv0

 

7 comments:

Anna Taylor Sweringen said...

Thanks for hosting me today and letting me share. : D

Anonymous said...

Brilliant, Anna.

Anna Taylor Sweringen said...

Thanks Anonymous for the appreciation.

Judith Ashley said...

Anna, I share your thoughts about the indigenous people who were here generations before...
Here in the Pacific Northwest we are being encourage/invited to find out the name of the tribe whose ancestors lived where our homes and businesses now stand and to recognize them by name. Is that something that is being done in Albuquerque? or elsewhere in New Mexico?
BTW, I've been to Old Town Albuquerque and felt so at home there. It was decades ago that I was there (1980's for work and 1990's at a conference).

Anna Taylor Sweringen said...

Hi Judith, thanks for sharing. I'm not quite sure. That's something I must check into. Thanks for the suggestion.

Diana McCollum said...

I agree with you in that the indigenous people should be recognized. They were here thousands of years before us. Nice post.

Anna Taylor Sweringen said...

Thanks for commenting, Diana.