Tuesday, December 6, 2022

I wouldn't be me if ...

‘Tis the season for good cheer, catching up with family and friends, and endless commercials for new cars adorned with a giant red bow. It’s also, in my opinion, the season for indulging in special sweets that recall memories of childhood. You know, those cookies or cakes baked once a year that became ineluctably paired with the jolly elf, holiday decorations, and wishes.

I’ve shared many recipes for such treats over the years and I wouldn’t be me if I let this season go by without another offering. However, rather than dip into my family’s recipe vault, I’m sharing a long time favourite from my friend Judi. She always talks about these soft, delicious, spice cookies at this time of year, a firm family favourite in her house. By the time I got around to asking for the recipe and baking a batch, I could only wonder why I waited so long! 

Legend has it these cookies keep for weeks. I cannot confirm because they don’t last more than a week in this house.

For a brief history behind the name of these cookies, check out this link.

Joe Frogger Cookies
(adapted from Judi Phillips' recipe)

Makes about 2 dozen.

3½ cups flour
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger.
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon allspice

1 packed cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons white sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup molasses
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons dark rum
1/3 cup hot water

Adjust oven shelves to top and bottom thirds and preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and allspice.

In a large bowl, beat together brown sugar, white sugar and butter until smooth. Mix baking soda into the cup of molasses and add to the butter mixture along with rum and hot water and blend. The mixture will curdle, that's okay. With the mixer at low speed, blend in the flour mixture until well-combined. Dough will be soft.

Drop by liberal tablespoon-fulls onto parchment-lined cookie sheet, spacing two inches apart. Bake for 15 minutes, switching the top and bottom cookie sheets halfway through. Cookies will be slightly plumped and appear dry on top. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely .

Store at room temperature in a covered container. 

These cookies freeze well. 



From my home to yours, may the blessings of the season fill your hearts with joy.

A blizzard … Krista Rhodes has seen a few in her lifetime. 

Snowed in for days … once, when she was a kid. 

Trapped in a house with Dr. Dreamboat … never saw that one coming. Not only cute, he’s also funny and kind and strong and how can she resist? 

Eric Monroe has it all mapped out – drive cross-country to a new job with a brief stop to celebrate a buddy’s engagement. A giant detour with a beautiful, witty, no-nonsense woman makes the journey more fun than he ever thought possible. And bonus – he’s moving to her town.

Except she’s got something she has to do. Maybe. And he can’t ask her to change her plans. Can he?  



Luanna Stewart has been creating adventures for her imaginary friends since childhood. She spends her days writing contemporary romance, romantic suspense, paranormal romance, and historical romance. When not torturing her characters, she’s in her kitchen baking something delicious. She lives in Nova Scotia with her patient husband and five hens.

2 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Luanna, those cookies look/sound/are scrumptious!!! They wouldn't last a week or more at my house either and I live alone. So, while I loved reading about them and drooled over the picture, I won't be baking any. You'll have to eat a couple (dozen?) on my behalf.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Thanks for the recipe, Luanna. I have a similar one, and it is a treat! Winter is a great time to indulge in goodies.