Saturday, June 3, 2023

Longest Day or Shortest Day

by Diana McCollum


 The June solstice in the Northern Hemisphere the December solstice in the Southern Hemisphere.

The Northern Winter Solstice is in December and the Southern Hemisphere winter solstice is in June.


“Let the energy of the summer solstice help you to balance, release, recharge.” – Unknown

quotes on summer solstice

“Green was the silence, wet was the light, the month of June trembled like a butterfly.” – Pablo Neruda


(my picture: Monterrey, CA)


“One way of celebrating the Solstice is to consider it a sacred time of reflection, release, restoration, and renewal.” – Sarah Ban Breathnach     





It may be the “longest day,” but it’s not the latest sunset. Nor the earliest sunrise!" (author unknown)




(My photo sunset Paradise, CA)

Winter Solstice or the shortest day of the year is for new beginnings.

The Winter Solstice is the time of ending and beginning, a powerful time -- a time to contemplate your immortality. A time to forgive, to be forgiven, and to make a fresh start. A time to awaken.  Frederick Lenz

margaret atwood winter solstice quote

“What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness. You only truly, deeply appreciate and are grateful for something when you compare and contrast it to something worse.” — John Steinbeck

Cool Winter Solstice Photos 2

(from memes and bams)

Hope you've enjoyed these memes of the Solstice and the winter solstice.

5 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Thanks Diana, I love your pictures. Your one in Monterrey reminds me of ones I've taken along the Oregon Coast. And I totally agree with the last one. I smiles as I read it because I often think the same thought.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Thanks, Diana! Great photos, including yours. ;-)

Deb N said...

Fun blog, Diana. And beautiful photo. Your ocean photo reminds me of Maine, as well.

Diana McCollum said...

Thanks for stopping by, Judith, Deb N. and Lynn

Paty Jager said...

Nice post! I loved the sayings and the photos.