Monday, June 5, 2023

Why Alaska made me appreciate winter by Paty Jager

 


After my recent trip to Alaska for a graduation and wedding, I have to say I do not envy the long summer days up there. 

We were so messed up time-wise just because the sun didn't set until after 11 pm. Seven at night felt like four in the afternoon. We were eating much later than normal due to being so busy driving around sightseeing because, well, we could see everything. 

One of the many moose we saw.

I know I wouldn't be able to live with so much dark in the winter and so much light in the summer. I like where I'm at. 

A Glacier as you come out of Whittier

We had a wonderful time. My hubby, our oldest daughter, and my mother-in-law all traveled up together and stayed in the same house. Hubby had a couple of places he had yet to see from our other trips to the state. Normally, we traveled to Alaska in October when farming was finished or early in the year before farming started. This wasn't my first time being in Alaska in the summer, but when I was there before, I was inside mostly with blackout curtains and didn't find the light so bothersome. 

Ice along a river still.

The trip was a week long. The days we didn't have family obligations we traveled to Fairbanks, North Pole, Glenallen, and Whittier. 

Here are a few photos.

Santa Land North Pole, Alaska.


We purchased some Christmas items here. 

Boats at Whittier

Paty Jager is an award-winning author of 54 novels, 8 novellas, and numerous anthologies of murder mystery and western romance. All her work has Western or Native American elements in them along with hints of humor and engaging characters. Paty and her husband raise alfalfa hay in rural eastern Oregon. Riding horses and battling rattlesnakes, she not only writes the western lifestyle, she lives it.

Website: https://www.patyjager.net

Blog: https://writingintothesunset.net/


6 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Love the pictures! And I think I'd have problems with the days being as long as they are in Alaska. Not sure about the long nights in winter because I look forward to November until March when we have our darkest days in Western Oregon. How cool to see the moose or mooses . I know it isn't mices.

Such a beautiful part of the world!

Does the North Pole have a resident Santa? Inquiring minds and all that...

Diana McCollum said...

Paty,
Your trip sounded and looked amazing. Love the pictures. It looked cloudy in most of the pictures. How was the weather?

Thanks for sharing.

Paty Jager said...

Judith, There was a sign at the Santa Land store that he does show up for photos, but wasn't there when we were. It was a fun trip.

Diana, the weather was actually nice. We had a couple of rain showers but for the most part, it was overcast and in the 60s. Nicer than the weather we'd left in Oregon.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Whittier is one of my favorite places! I'm so glad you had a good trip, Paty.

Sarah Raplee said...

We lived in Alaska for a total of 5 years (with a year-and-a-half break in New Orleans, Louisiana) while my DH was in the coast Guard. We loved it, especially the summers, but we were in our 20s then. Not sure if I'd have problems now with the long summer days and long winter nights.

Loved the pictures and I'm so glad you had a good trip!

Paty Jager said...

Lynn, I could have spent more time at Whittier but we had my 89 year-old mother-in-law who can't walk much. Maybe another time I can go and hang out more.

Sarah, Our daughter and her husband in the Coast Guard managed to stay up there most of his 22-year career. They loved it. Especially my daughter. The son-in-law can't take the cold anymore. Our son spent most of his Air Force career in Alaska and he won't leave.