Friday, June 9, 2023

Solstice gardening and beyond!

 by Diana McCollum


Summer time for our household is gardening time. When we moved from the high desert of OR my husband said No more vegetable gardens. As he didn't have much luck growing vegetables at 3500 ft and in a dry climate. So what do we have now that we live in northern CA? 

A vegetable garden!!!

 We have all kinds of beans, eggplant, tomatoes, corn, Thai chilies , sunflowers, three kinds of squash, pumpkins, lettuce, radish, onions, potatoes, fennel, all kinds of herbs. That's not even mentioning the 2 cherry trees, pear tree, fig tree, apple tree that have to be taken care of and harvested. Yikes! Definitely a summer of gardening.

Plant and Garden expert Craig Hignight says this is the best time for farmers and gardeners to plant. Around the solstice "we get the best growth," Highnight said. "That's why we grow so much corn and soybeans in the Midwest" Pumpkins have been known to grow by inches overnight in the summer.

There are cold weather crops that are good to start at Solstice, some of the better ones are members of the cabbage family. Kale is one of the vegetables and it can even survive frosts and quite often continues growing throughout winter. That gives you fresh greens in the dead of winter time.  It is best to germinate indoors and then plant in prepared beds. 

If it is too hot the seeds may not germinate if sown directly into the prepared beds. There are a dozen plants you can plant at Solstice to harvest in the fall or winter.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Summer Solstice Plants: What To Plant On The Summer Solstice https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/spaces/summer-solstice-plants.htm


Come with me for a walk through our gardening areas:





The box above is fennel radish, green onions and herbs.




Box on right are cucumbers and squash.

s




Tomatoes and potatoes and onions.


Tomatoes, eggplant, Thai peppers in boxes above.


String beans and peas


Pumpkin hills to the left.

Hill of Corn on right, husband is doing the three sisters method. that consists of corn, beans and squash all planted together. the corn grows up, the beans wrap around the stalk and the pumpkin or squash grow in between on the ground.






Husband's grape vines, he planted four but only two survived.











And then the sweetest thing of all in the garden, he trimmed this bush just for me!

I hope you enjoyed seeing some of our gardens (not all).
Do you plant a vegetable garden? or flowers? or both?
We plant both.

(all pictures taken by Diana McCollum in her yard)



12 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Diana, Especially love the last picture. I'd say you and your husband have your summer gardening well underway. And, I see weeding in your future although perhaps not watering because I do see drip lines. You'll certainly have lots of fresh veggies this summer and into the fall. Are you planting for a winter garden as well?

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Great photos, Diana--especially that heart! Our season is short here in Alaska. I grow lots of perennial flowers. And I have some vegetables, although I have the best luck with greens like collards, lettuce, and bok choy.

Sarah Raplee said...

Our gardening is limited to pots this summer. You've given me some great ideas, Diana. Never tried to grow Kale before. It's beautiful and edible too!!!

Diana McCollum said...

Judith,

I'm not sure if we'll plant a winter garden or not. I think I'd rather travel in the winter. With husbands up coming surgeries and health issues I know we'll be around this summer to take care of the gardens. On hot days we have to give everything a bit of love and extra water. Thanks for stopping by.

Lynn,
thanks for stopping by. I would imagine cold weather crops would be best in Alaska, although I've heard of giant tomatoes etc during the long days of summer, is that right?

Sarah,
Your niece Katie grew Kale and it grows fast and multiplies if i the ground. Thanks for stopping by.

Dari LaRoche said...

Diana, love your garden and your raised beds. So nice that you and your husband both enjoy gardening. That heart shaped bush says it all.

Bonnie Hobbs said...

Diana! Love your garden! It's the kind I have in my head every year, but never quite gets there because my aching body rebels. Keep up the good work. And yes, I love that heart-shaped shrub.

Diana McCollum said...

Dari,
We do both enjoy it. Him especially. With all his aches and pains it does him good to focus on the gardening . He loves sitting in his lawn chair and weeding, hoeing, watering or watching the garden grow. As one doctor told him Lotion is Motion to keep joints moving.

Diana McCollum said...

Thank you , Bonnie, for stopping by!
I know when I'm working outside, especially bending over weeding, I have to take a break every 15 mins or so.
My PT told me to do that and it seems to help with the aches and pains.

Barbara Rae Robinson said...

Lovely garden, Diana! And I do love your heart. My daughter has raised beds in which she grows an unbelievable amount of vegetables every year. She makes her own compost. Do you compost?

Anonymous said...

What an awesome planting!!! Looks so neat and organized. May you have a fruitful harvest!

Anonymous said...

(from Kelly L - not sure why it's showing anonymous - I guess I needed to log in somewhere. LOL)

Marie Harte said...

Thanks for the pictures! You have the beginning of a lovely veggie garden! And I love the flowers too. Great post!