Thursday, June 8, 2023

Summer or Winter? by Lynn Lovegreen

 For me, it’s an easy choice. I’ve always loved summer. Here in southcentral Alaska, summer is lovely. The trees and plants are green, and the flowers are in bloom. We have mild temperatures and long summer days.


 

Mild temperatures to me means shirtsleeve weather, usually in the 60s (F). If we get into the 70s, that’s pretty warm. If it hits 80 degrees, all the fans come out of storage, and we sweat in the shorts we only wear a few days out of the year. (And we’re probably slathered in bug dope to keep off the mosquitoes!)

 

Long days to me means up to nineteen and a half hours of daylight at the peak of the season. Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year, is a big deal, when we often have midnight baseball games, races, and other festivities.  

 

This is the best time of year for camping, hiking, and traveling by water or on the road system (the parts of Alaska connected to our highways). I see more of our state and enjoy it more in the summer. Of course, that leads to one drawback—I get less writing done this time of year. But I can make up for that on dreary winter days. Right now, it’s time to get out and enjoy the season! 




 

Lynn Lovegreen has lived in Alaska for most of her life. After twenty years in the classroom, she retired to make more time for writing. She enjoys her friends and family, reading, and volunteering for her local library. Her young adult historical romance is set in Alaska, a great place for drama, romance, and independent characters. See her website at www.lynnlovegreen.com

 

4 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Lynn, I was ready to pack my bags and at least go to Alaska for a visit. Your temperatures are perfect for me and I'd do okay in the long winter nights and then you said "slathered in bug dope to keep off the mosquitoes!" I'm not sure how much fun I'd have at that midnight baseball game not only slathered in bug dope but also wrapped in mosquito netting. If there is one of those critters within a mile of me, it will find me in a group of 50!

Thanks for sharing a bit more about your part of the world.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Thanks, JudIth! It is funny how some people attract mosquitos more than others, but it is a thing.

Diana McCollum said...

Lynn,

Loved the pictures especially the one with the wooden walk way.

I've always wanted to go to Alaska. It's just never worked out.

Diana

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Thanks, Diana. That was taken in Prince William Sound. Hope you make it to Alaska if it's still on your list!