Tuesday, July 23, 2024

The Summer that Changed Everything by Sarah McDermed

MAP OF GUAM copyright Google 2024

My tenth summer, the summer of 1963, my life took an unforeseen turn. We left our mostly typical suburban life in Sunnyvale, California, behind for one of adventure halfway around the world on a small island in the South Pacific.

My father, a commercial airline pilot, was hired by Pan American Airways to fly passenger seaplanes from Guam in the Marianas Islands to what were then the United Nations protected Islands of Micronesia. Flying for Pan Am was a big step up in his career, and Dad was familiar with Guam. He had served in the Marine Corps on Guam during World War 2 after American forces liberated the island.

Moving to Guam that summer felt like a grand adventure to us kids. We arrived six months after Typhoon Karen devastated the island. Many families who had lost their homes still lived in temporary one-room plywood shacks with canvas roofs.

ALEXANDER TUTORIAL CENTER
My twelve-year-old brother and I soon made friends with kids in the neighborhood. Our new friends told us harrowing stories about surviving the storm. They also introduced us to the nearby beaches of Tumon Bay, snorkeling in the warm salt water to watch colorful little fish swim among the corals and sea anemones. We learned to avoid stepping on sea urchins and stone fish in the tide pools, and which seashells had poisonous stings.

Jack and I spent a lot of time playing catch-and-release with the wildlife. There were giant African snails and toads, both unfortunately invasive species introduced by humans. The cute golden geckos, gorgeous green anole lizards and funny little hermit crabs were strange and endlessly fascinating. Jack and his friends caught coconut crabs at night. With claws so strong they could pinch off a finger, those crabs terrified me.

When Jack discovered the island was full of caves dug by the Japanese during the war, he took me with him to explore them. Mom and Dad taught us never to pick up any metal objects, bullets or grenades we found in a cave, but instead report them to a responsible adult. We also explored gun emplacements, or “pill boxes” on the cliffs above some beaches. World War 2 was very real to us.

SPANISH FORT

The Marianas Islands had been “discovered” and their Chamorro people conquered by the Spanish during the 1500s. Most place names were either Spanish or Chamorro. Old Spanish forts, bell towers, churches and other ruins dot the islands.

Guam was a melting pot of peoples and cultures, and still is. Anyone, no matter their race, who came from the continental US was a ‘Statesider’. Besides the native Chamorros (aka ‘Guamanians’), there were many ethnic groups living on our new island home: Filipinos, Chinese, Japanese, Palauan, Trukese, Ponapean, and more.

IMAGE FROM GUAM ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS

Back in our little slice of California, it had been Big News when a Black family moved in a few blocks over. There were a number of Hispanic families in the neighborhood and one Native American family, but that was it for integration.

That summer, I didn’t’ know it yet, but in the fall I would be the only Statesider girl in my fifth grade class. I didn’t know I would learn what it is like to be the girl whose hair everyone wanted to touch, the strange one, the odd one out. I didn’t yet realize that I belonged to a privileged minority. I didn’t know how living on Guam would be key to my becoming the person I am.

I didn’t realize that summer had changed everything. ~ Sarah


7 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Love this post, Sarah! In my "perfect" world, everyone would get a DNA test and spend time (preferably a year but even a week) living in a culture where they would be a minority. I believe it would change, perhaps not Everything but it would close much of the 'us versus them' thinking.

Diana McCollum said...

Interesting blog post as I shared completely different feelings about moving to Guam. I was going into my senior year of high school and hated leaving Sunnyvale, CA, my friends and high school.

I did not make friends that first summer. In high school it wasn't until one semester was over that I finally was accepted by a few students and able to forge friendships.
I do believe being the minority on the island and in school was a very good learning experience. and on the high school level seeing first hand the prejudices between the Guamanians and students from other islands who came to Guam for their high school education.

I was told outright by Guamanian students not to associate with Palauans, Ponapeians etc. It was a GOOD lesson. Needless to say, I didn't heed their warnings but made friends as I wanted. I was the crazy white chick.
Love you Sister Sarah!!!

Deb N said...

WOW - so interesting. I lived overseas around the same age you did, and learned much from my experience, as well. Living in a totally different culture is indeed a lesson for life - being open to friendships and learning about others who do not come from the same circumstances we do, teaches humility, acceptance, and tolerance, and being open to understanding others. Great post!

Anonymous said...

You are right about that, Judith!

Anonymous said...

I knew your experience was much different than mine, Sis. This was a very difficult move for you as a Senior in high school. Interesting how we both learned so much about prejudice and to treasure diversity! So glad you shared!

Anonymous said...

I love the way you put what we are all saying, Deb! Thank you😊

Lynn Lovegreen said...

What a great adventure, and learning experience, that must have been for you kids! I had several Chamorro students from Guam, and I'm glad to hear more about it.