Friday, July 26, 2024

Bestselling Romance Novelist Sandra Kitt Interview by Marcia King-Gamble

 I had the pleasure of  interviewing Bestselling novelist Sandra Kitt. Here's what she had to say about her illustrious career and the publishing industry.  

Q   Did you always dream about becoming a writer? If not a writer, what would you be?

 A   I used to write poetry and short little romantic scenes that I guess could be considered romantic.  I was in middle school. By the time I reached high school, to study art, I had begun to write children’s stories based on my life and my family.  But I never had a thought to becoming a professional writer…a novelist.

    Tell us about your first experience with the publishing world.  How did you get published?

 A   My experience selling my first books and getting published, I now think of as ‘magical’.  I got my first idea to write a book while I was out shopping, on a lunch break from my day-time job as a Library Manager. I felt as if the story popped fully realized in my head, and all I had to do was write it all down. It took me 6 weeks to write a 100,000 word manuscript.  But that first book I was writing just to entertain myself. It was a story that I wanted to read.  It was after finishing a second and third story that I thought, maybe it was time that I showed my work to a publisher.

 An editor from Harlequin was setting up a New York office for the Canadian owned publisher.  She invited me to meet with her in her office, and she gave me a two hour tutorial on the publishing of romance novels and what kind of stories she was looking for.  Afterward I sent her two of the three books that I’d already written, and she bought both of them!  THE RITES OF SPRING and ADAM AND EVA were published in 1984.  I was the first African American to ever publish with Harlequin.  I’ve been publishing ever since.

 Q   What was your reaction to your first sale? Who was it with? What year and with which publisher?

 A   The first published book was THE RITES OF SPRING, from Harlequin American Romance in 1984.  When the book was released I went to a bookstore and saw the books on the shelf. I was dumbfounded, and delighted!  There, in front of me, was a row of my book, with my name printed on the cover.  I took a picture of the display as proof that I’d written and published a novel.  It remains one of the most special events in my life.

 Then, things really became even more special later in 1984 when ADAM AND EVA was published.  It was the first Black romance by Harlequin’s first African American author. This October will mark the 40th Anniversary of the publication of that story.

 Q   You made history as the first African American to write for Harlequin.  Was it the story, or current events that made this possible, or neither?

 A   I think what made this extraordinary beginning for me possible was a little of being in the right place at the right time, and quickly meeting the editor who first bought my books. The only thing ‘current’ about my introduction to Harlequin was that I was writing stories with fresh ideas and diverse characters.

 My coming into the industry when I did was the start of publishers and editors realizing that the genre needed to welcome a new demographic of writers, with new voices and stories to tell.  The audience has always been out there waiting for stories that were more representative of the population.  The industry had to find a way into the future. I was the first new author through that opened door.

 Q   What have been some Highlights of your career?

 A   There have been a ton!  I’m happy to say that writing, publishing, having readers who enjoy my books, has given me a wealth of experiences and opportunities that I might not otherwise have ever had! I’ll bullet-point some things here but it’s incomplete:

*    My first book signing in a space filled with people!

*    My publisher sending me to attend the first L.A. Times Book Festival, that is  now an annual event.

*   Writing and publishing the first interracial story for Harlequin.

*   Writing and publishing the first interracial romance for the genre.

*    Meeting so many other writers, some of whom have become personal friends.

*    Being asked to be keynote speaker at conferences, or presenting workshops      or seminars .

*    The many TV interviews and talk show appearances.

*    Becoming an Adjunct Instructor in writing fiction for 15 years at a college in New jersey.

*    Having my first novel optioned by HBO for a possible film.  And having it  optioned a second time by Lifetime.  ALL before the story had even been   published.

*    Creating the art for the cover of one of my books (a 1st and only for any author)

*    Nominated for an NAACP Image Award in fiction.

*    Having my first foreign book signing in Munich Germany.

*    My book signing aboard a cruise ship I was vacationing on.

*    My books published in a dozen countries and languages overseas.

*    A number of my titles made into audio books.

 



 Q   I read that you illustrated a couple of books for Isaac Asimov. How did that come about?

 A   When I worked as a Librarian at the Hayden Planetarium in New York Dr. Asimov was a frequent visitor.  He used my library as a quiet place to work.  He was also a member of the Hayden’s Astronomy Council, consulting with or working with the staff on public event projects.  Because of the time he spent in my library we chatted a lot, and became friends.  He knew that I had degrees in art, and asked me if I’d be interested in illustrating a book he was writing.  I said YES, of course!  That book was ASIMOV’S GUIDE TO THE RETURN OF HALLEY’S COMET.  A year later he again asked me to illustrate his next book called, BEGINNINGS.  

 Q   Your break out novel THE COLOR OF LOVE was a huge hit, and so appropriate for the times. It hit a chord with many readers.  Why do you think it did?

 A   As I said, initially I was not thinking of anyone else but myself as a reader for THE COLOR OF LOVE.  At the time a very bold interracial story. Editors who read it, but rejected it, considered the subject ‘taboo’. I wanted to see if I could write a contemporary urban story in which a white police officer becomes friends with a Black book designer, and they eventually fall in love.  But their deepening relationship is understandably difficult, with objections from family members, friends, coworkers, and perfect strangers. This couple had to commit to their feelings and defend their relationship against all the hostility the encountered. The story has subplots, and two points of view, both the hero and the heroine…another first for the genre and the industry.

 I think the success of this book spoke to the curiosity and desires of a new generation that welcomed the idea of meeting and falling in love with someone unlike themselves, whether it’s racially, ethnically, religiously…whatever.  It’s now routine for us to see portrayals of this in movies, TV shows, and in books.  Interracial coupling is no longer a new idea, and really wasn’t when I wrote THE COLOR OF LOVE.  But as a society we never talked about it. Now It’s very much part of the world culture.

 Q   It certainly seems that you’ve had more than one creative career focus in your life.  Besides being a writer you’re also an artist, and a former Librarian.  You haven’t really settled on just one career.  How come?

 A   I have a LOT of creative energy.  I have boundless curiosity and interest in everything.  That’s why I love to travel, and I’m willing to experience and try new things I’ve never done before.  I’m very fortunate to have turned three of my interests into concurrent careers.  And when people ask me where I get ideas for my books, it’s simply by living, experimenting, meeting new people, doing new things.  LIFE!  I pay attention what what’s going on around me.

 

Q   What do you do to relax?

 A   Because of my tendency to want to do everything at once, and to be on the go all the time, I used to be very bad at ‘relaxing’.  But I’ve learned over the years how important it is for me to take a break from my usual hectic routine, and to force myself to ‘chill’.  The reason why I now insist on taking a real vacation, or to go away for a weekend, or visit friends, is because when I’m away from home I have no choice but to stay in the moment, and enjoy myself.  I love going to museums, and lectures, book festivals, movies, ballet, opera, fairs, etc. Living in New York I have access to a lot of FREE events all over the city. I take advantage of as much as I can.

 

Q   Do you set aside a special time of the day for writing?

  When I first began writing I wrote primarily at night.  I was working as a Librarian, so I only had the evenings to be creative when I got home.  As I’ve said, I have an enormous amount of energy so it was not hard for me to balance this dual part of my life.  Now, that I’m retired, if I’m working on a book I work best early in the day.  I begin around 9:30AM and work straight through the morning until about 12 or 1PM.  Even if I don’t want to stop because my writing is going well, I do so anyway to take a few hours break.  Then I might begin working again around 4 or 5 for a few more hours.



 Q  Tell us about your lates project, THE MILLIONAIRES CLUB. There are three books in this collection. What are they about? I came up with THE MILLIONAIRES CLUB for the collection of three books.  The basic theme of all three stories is that one of the characters (or both, as in the second book, THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE,) comes into a huge amount of money that they didn’t earn.  In the first book, WINNER TAKES ALL set in New York, the hero wins the lottery!  That was the easiest. 

 A   I was offered a three book contract, and the editor asked that I submit ideas for a trilogy.   scenario. In the story it’s the heroine who suggests the hero start a foundation where people can become members, who are interested in doing good with their new wealth.  That’s THE MILLIONAIRES CLUB.  In the second book, THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE Set in D.C., both the hero and heroine are each left a xxfortune by the hero’s late stepfather. And in the 3rd and final book, FINDERS KEEPERS (April 2024) set in L.A., the heroine finds money hidden in a false closet in a house she’s renovating.  There are plenty of complications in all three stories as well as the developing love story.  All three stories can be read as stand-alone.

What the editor liked about the theme is that instead of finding selfish ways to spend money just on themselves, the protagonists in each book feels the need and responsibility to share with others less fortunate then themselves.




 Q   What’s next on you writing bucket list?

A   I’m actually taking a break for the rest of the year, to clear my brain and to think about what I want to write next.  Recently I came up with a new idea about a middle-aged couple.  I’m just allowing my mine to roam freely before I settle on my next project.

You’re always traveling. I can never keep u. What are two favorite places so far? Name one international and [one] domestic.

 A   Italy is my favorite European country.  I’ve seen a lot of the southern part of the country, but I want to do Tuscany, and all of northern Italy; Lake Como, Florence and Pisa, Venice (again).  In terms of a domestic location I really don’t have a favorite, but I enjoy L.A., and Bellevue and Seattle, Washington.

 Q   You’re a native New Yorker. What draws you and keeps you in the city?

 A   I’m very comfortable in New York.  I was born and raised here and know my way around.  I live in a quiet residential area, with lots of parks, private schools, and colleges!  And there are extraordinary cultural advantages in New York. Dozens of world class museums, historic institutions, opera, Broadway, many accessible beaches in the summer, movie theaters, galleries, botanic gardens.  I hope this gives you a good idea of what the city offers, that’s available to me.

 Q   If you had a crystal ball where would you predict traditional publishing is heading.

 A   The last 10 + years have been incredible.  We’ve lost almost a dozen traditional publishing houses to mergers or closures. While what remains continue to publish an astonishing number of books every year, writers are not able to ‘make a living’ on their advances, or the hopes of royalties. The real power, it seems, in publishing is in the hands of ‘Indie’ writers who are, in essence, their own publishing businesses.  There are now categories on the New York Times Bestseller Lists for ebooks, and independently published books.  And it appears that these two categories constitute most of the best seller lists.  Women’s fiction and romances also have a very big presence on the lists, probably more than general fiction or literary works.

 There are also new sub-genres, and the entire industry is more diverse in terms of people of color, voices, POV, and subject matters. I don’t get a sense that it’s a ‘friendly’ environment, but I’m not as involved nor have a presence the way I did in the first half of my career. The readership has also changed, and I chalk that up to generational changes and new cultural mores.  I think that even the way we define what is a romance has evolved.  That’s neither good nor bad, just different.

 I can be reached through my website www.sandrakitt.com or at sekitt5e@gmail.com

 

 

 

 

7 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Sandra, what a fascinating career you've had. I love how you've been able to blend your love of art, books, people, travel, curiosity together into a stellar career. I also appreciate your take on the publishing industry because you just state your perspective without being judgmental.

Sandra Kitt said...

Judith, thank you so much for your insightful comments! I'm glad that you got so much out of my interview. I love writing. I love writing stories about 'grown-up' men and women who figure out how to resolve issues between them that opens up the space for them to fall in love.

Marcia King-Gamble said...

I'm excited to find out what's next for Sandra Kitt? The reason I started writing was because I fell in love with your books.

Diana McCollum said...

I so enjoyed reading your blog post. Your life and journey are incredible. You've done so many firsts in writing your novels and publishing.
I like that you are thinking about a middle age couple's romance.
Keep on Trucking Sandra Kitt!!

Sarah Raplee said...

I loved reading about your "magical" first sales and the amazing career that followed! Your premise for the Millionaires Club is beautiful. I must read this trilogy!!!

Sandra Kitt said...

Thank you Diana, for your observations! I think the genre is long over due for stories about 'mature' adults. With their age comes a good deal of life experience, failures as well as great triumph. I think all of their years adds up to a different way to look at relationships, and love. I think we can expect to read about new found wisdom, forgiveness, letting go, and moving on. I didn't expect to have this new found idea take over my thinking this summer, but I'm telling you that the main characters have been talking to each other in my head like crazy! Maybe that's the next book I'll write...but I have a few unfinished ideas that I might pursue first.

Sandra Kitt said...

I hope you do read the trilogy, Sarah. Each story, and the circumstances of either the hero or heroine (or both!) becoming wealthy is interesting to read. I hope you'll enjoy each story. Thanks for your interest.