Thursday, June 14, 2012

My Wedding Story

Well, it's June, the month of graduations, summer and weddings. This happens to be a special month for me for not only is it the beginning of time spent in the garden with the sun shinning down on me, but it also happens to be the month of my wedding anniversary. And since it is, I thought I'd discuss weddings. In particular, my own. I know, everyone has a wedding story, and yes everyone is unique. But what would a story be without some sadness, love and humor.

My wedding story could have been like anyone else's. Only, mine turned out to be one of the best days in my life. Yes, I know almost every bride says that. First, a little backstory. I met my husband when we were just teenagers, became best friends and then dated. At six months, at our homecoming dance, he proposed to me and of course I said yes. Who wouldn't right?

We were engaged for three and a half years before we finally decided it was time. He had joined the 101st infantry so for two years we spent apart. Half a world for six months of that. After his stay overseas the knowledge that we couldn't stand to be apart anymore slapped us on the head. I flew out to Tennessee and within two weeks we were married.

No, there wasn't a grand ceremony with lots and family and friends. No, there wasn't dancing and partying late into the night at an expensive celebration. It was just him, me and a few of his military buddies to celebrate the big day. Oh and the Justice of Peace. But the love in that room that day that I will never forget. One of his buddies did buy us a bottle of champagne to celebrate and we did set off a few fireworks that night, but it was the genuine good wishes and the love between us that made the celebration a hit. I remember it fondly every June. especially coming up on our 14th year.

What's your wedding story?

6 comments:

Margaret Tanner said...

Wow, that is so romantic. You don't need all the pomp and ceremony, often the simple weddings are the best ones because they are more heartfelt. Fourteen years married, I've been married over forty.

Regards

Margaret

Judith Ashley said...

Married 14, Mae, but together a few years longer. I've always thought marrying a best friend makes for a strong marriage! Congratulations...

Diana McCollum said...

Happy Anniversary Month!

ElaineCharton said...

A wonderfully romantic story. Congratulations! My best friend and I have been together 29 years and married 28 next month. When asked what is our secret we say "marrying your best friend."
Congratulations on `4 years and may you have many more.

ElaineCharton said...

A wonderfully romantic story. Congratulations! My best friend and I have been together 29 years and married 28 next month. When asked what is our secret we say "marrying your best friend."
Congratulations on `4 years and may you have many more.

Paty Jager said...

Happy anniversary! That is a wonderful story. I agree, being friends makes a marriage work. My hubby and I were attraction at first sight, then the friendship and love came hand in hand. We met at the age of 19 and married two years later.