Friday, September 6, 2019

Do You See How I ...?

Hi, I’m Judith Ashley, author of The Sacred Women’s Circle series, soul nourishing romantic women’s fiction that honors pagan spiritual practices. My stories show you what life could be like if you had a place like The Circle where you are unconditionally accepted, supported and loved. And where, with this support, you do overcome obstacles and find your happily-ever-after.

Another one of those “brilliant ideas” in August 2018 that draws a blank as to what we (at least I) had in mind when Sarah Raplee and I came up with it. What I vaguely remember is that there are books I’ve read and reread because of the way an author writes. It isn’t just about the story, but about the way in which the story is written.

For example: I’ve just read/reread several of Claire Delacroix’s Medieval Romance. How does she take me back to that time (1100 – 1500)? Part of it is in the language. Twould be nice if it twas so easy in other times. Another is the description of clothing – actually not a description but the word used when referencing an article of clothing like kirtle and chemise. Beyond seeing the date at the beginning of Chapter One and knowing Ms. Delacroix’s book are set in Medieval times, I know by the time I’ve read a couple of paragraphs in what time period this book is set.

Another favorite author of mine is Jo Beverley. As a lover of history, I’ve some awareness of fashions, who the monarch was in England at various times, etc. but Ms. Beverley does much the same as Ms. Delacroix. Her use of language and dress orients the reader to the stories setting in either Georgian or Regency England.

I write Contemporary Romance set in the early 2000’s. Hard to believe the changes that have occurred in less than twenty years. To assist readers, I do note the date at the beginning of each book and also for important events such as the Sabbats. As my stories are set in Oregon, Ireland and Italy, I also make that clear at chapter beginnings and scene breaks.
Because my professional life did lead to my being in unsafe situations, I took the time to remember how I dealt with difficult even dangerous situations with no cell phone available, no automatic locking car doors, much less emergency buttons on key fobs. Before easily carried cell phones, I did have pepper spray (mace) in my purse or pocket. (You can read the exciting adventure I had at Heathrow airport, London, England because I carried mace here.)

What would you do if you were caught without your cell phone or couldn’t reach it and you were in danger?

My The Sacred Women’s Circle series begins in 2002 and sequences through 2006. Lily: The Dragon and The Great Horned Owl is set in 2002 – 2003 but the trauma that resulted in her PTSD was in the early 1980’s. Answering machines were available but not voice mail.

Email? Nope.

Stalking laws? Non-existent.

What about sexual harassment laws? None.

And domestic violence? In some enlightened jurisdictions police would respond and protect the victim but not in all. In earlier still considered “contemporary” times victims did not have the resources available today. There was a stigma of being an abuse victim evident in the culture. What did she do to invite the beating, rape, etc. was common thinking.

If you were born in the late 1980’s or later, you might not know that in the “good old days” I was considered my husband’s property. In the 1960’s I was even told I “belonged” to him. That mind set is, in some cases, alive and well to this day—even in the United States.

What I show in my books is that, “contemporary” times have dramatically changed in the past fifteen or so years. For readers from teens to maybe early thirties, the reality of how their own lives have changed and that what they take for granted now wasn’t readily available ten to fifteen years ago is one of my goals.

My characters, as do all of us, have choices. Like us, some choices they embrace and some they fight. Some are based on their beliefs and some on their experiences. What I show is that we all have choices in what we believe and our actions. And our beliefs and actions today create our tomorrows.

It takes courage to trust in the future a choice may bring us rather than to stay in a challenging situation because we know what to expect. At the heart of each story, the heroine and at times the hero must take the leap and trust in the future a different choice can create for them.

And because I write romance you know that even in the darkest times there will always a “happily-ever-after.”

You can find all of my books at your favorite e-book vendor. Be sure to ask your local library if you’d prefer to read my books through that resource.

Learn more about Judith's The Sacred Women’s Circle series at JudithAshleyRomance.com

Follow Judith on Twitter: JudithAshley19

Check out Judith’s Windtree Press author page.

You can also find Judith on FB! 

© 2019 Judith Ashley

6 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

I love your books, partly because your core story, like J.K. Rowling's (Harry Potter), is "It is our choices that define us." Sp true!

It is amazing how quickly life has changed due to technology. My first cell phone was a 'brick phone' shaped like a brick and weighing as much, but you could fun over it with a car and it would be fine. That phone made it much easier to be a one-woman business,

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Nice post, Judith. Choices and HEA are essential to many of us readers!

Judith Ashley said...

Sarah, my heart went pitter-patter at having my books referenced in the same sentence as J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter. And I don't know about the "brick" phone but I had a "bag phone" that weighed a ton (battery) and had a handset like the "regular phones of the times). It made a significant difference in my being able to safely do my job.

Judith Ashley said...

Lynn, thanks for stopping by and commenting. I've been at a conference this past week so am a bit late responding. Feels sort of strange to be sitting at my computer after six days away!

Diana McCollum said...

Enjoyed your post , Judith! Technology has taken leaps and bounds in the past 20 years. I think it does make it harder to write contemporary. If the heroine is in jeopardy all she has to do is pull the cell phoned dial '911'. Not always, of course, but most times. As you said we now have panic buttons on our key fobs, with the touch of a button all the car doors lock, anyway, great post.

Judith Ashley said...

Thanks for commenting, Diana. I still claim my early 2000's setting books are Contemporary although I am of an age where I know my years growing up are now considered Historical!