Saturday, September 7, 2019

“Editing Doesn’t Matter!” by Developmental Editor Jessa Slade


With the self-publishing market matured and the early “easy money gold rush” days contracted, I’ve been seeing more posts in online author groups about belt-tightening and ways to minimize overhead in order to maximize profit. This is a valid concern for small business people, which is what self-published authors are.

Toward that end, some authors have turned to a churn ’em and burn ’em book production schedule of faster, shorter, and cheaper books. To keep the volume high and the costs low, one of the suggestions sometimes made to such writers is to ditch editing.

To which I, a freelance editor, say—do it!

…If you can.

As an editor, I adore clean copy and beautiful, powerful prose. But as an author, I know that STORY is the One True God.* Everything else exists in service to the story. Cover art, blurb, marketing—none of that matters as much as the story itself. Editing doesn’t matter either…except where not editing gets in the way of the reader’s eager consumption and enjoyment of the story.

So, if you are a newer writer or a more experienced writer making adjustments in a changing marketplace, how do you decide if editing matters to you?

If you are in command of your plot and characters and can objectively review the last draft for its strengths and flaws, you might not need a content or developmental editor. (Although you might if you are pushing yourself to the next level.)

If your grasp of grammar, syntax, tenses, spelling, punctuation, and a thousand other nitpicky points of writing is professorial—not to say perfect—you might not need a line editor or copyeditor. (Although you might if your writing speed or focus would be improved by not nitpicking.)

If you can search’n’destroy every typo… Well, you’re fooling yourself. J Everyone needs a proofreader.*

Editing isn’t a necessary evil. It’s not a rite of passage for a newbie, to be escaped asap. It’s not even a way for editors to pay rent. (Okay, it is partly that!) The purpose of editing is to smooth a path from the author’s intent to the reader’s interpretation so that the story shines as clearly as possible between you.

For writers who want to self-edit—whether to try to save money or to sharpen their storytelling craft—I’ve put together an editing highlights reel. These are the elements of editing that I consider most important and that writers seem to struggle with most often. This covers the three stages of editing: 1. big-picture developmental or content editing, 2. mid-level line editing or copyediting, and 3. polishing or proofreading. This is not a complete list, and if it still seems like a lot…well, it is a lot!

And that’s why some writers work with editors. J

Self-Editing Checklist from Red Circle Ink

Let yourself forget the story and come at it cold.
Rewrite the cinematic tagline of your story as you know it now.
Re-read your story as a first-time reader, keeping the revised tagline in mind.

Start with big-picture re-visioning of conflict, character, and cadence:
Conflict evaluation: Is you plot (i.e. stakes and consequences)…
Clear
Instantly relatable
Deeply personal
Compellingly dramatized
Escalating to a satisfying conclusion
Character evaluation:
            Core personality (relatable and interesting)
            Goal, motivation, and conflict
            Character issue (wound)
Fear (holding back, driving forward)
Purpose (want vs. need)
Growth arc (sequential steps of change)
Moments of change (linked to plot)
Cadence evaluation: (pacing)
            Master scene list with rising tension
            Gray pages
            Varied length (of chapters, scenes, paragraphs, sentences, even individual words)

Refine mid-level issues: Do you have clear and compelling…
            …Emotion—Have you moved the reader?
            …Point of view (the characters’ and yours)
            …Worldbuilding (fresh, coherent, and evocative)
            …Setting and timing (continuity)
            …Theme

Polish line-level issues including:
Create unique character voices with character-specific imagery
Evoke a sensory experience with the full range of senses
Limit filter words that put the reader at a distance
Leverage power positions (beginnings and ends)
Punch up dialogue and internal monologue

Tackle word-level copyediting after everything else is “perfect”
Amplify power words—strong verbs, specific nouns, evocative adjectives
Avoid clichés
Be aware of your darlings

Proofreading: “Last” pass
Change the font. Print it out. Read backward. Read aloud. Have your computer read to you.

The one rule*:
Be compelling. The story matters most. All editing serves the flow of story.

You can find the one-page Red Circle Ink Self-Editing Checklist here:
https://redcircleink.com/writing-and-editing-philosophy/one-page-self-editing-checklist/

* Anytime I write in absolutes, please just assume we all know That One Exception. If you are that exception, how nice for you!

***




Jessa Slade writes paranormal romance and science fiction romance as Elsa Jade. She launched Red Circle Ink developmental editing services in 2013 as another outlet for her love of story and to better understand what works in storytelling and why—as impossible as that may be! Since then, she’s worked with dozens of authors in many genres and won awards for editing. Please note that she does not always practice what she preaches, and as always with writing advice, YMMV.

18 comments:

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Thanks for the post. I think all writers need a set of fresh eyes on the manuscript at some point. It's hard to catch everything yourself.

Judith Ashley said...

Thank You Jessa for sharing your wisdom and expertise with us on Romancing The Genres. You failed to mention that "and won awards for editing" were RITA's from Romance Writer's of America---romance's Oscar's. And maybe from some other places as well.

I've had an editor or two for each of my eight Sacred Women's Circle novels but not for my non-fiction. I do "readers" for those books. I give them instructions to let me know what is awkward, confusing, etc and if they see a typo, grammar, etc. But I don't ask them to read for them.

Do you edit non-fiction and do you have advice for non-fiction writers?

Sarah Raplee said...

It is so danged hard to edit your own work! Great post, Jessa. Thank you for the Editing Highlights Sheet.

Money is so often a limiting factor for self-published writers. I have found editors definitely earn their money, but cost is a limiting factor for many writers. No easy answer there. SIGH

I've also learned if they love a story, many readers will put up with typos and the occasional grammar gaffe. As you said, Story rules!

AmorinaRose said...

Great post. Sarah Raplee, great comment. I have not been able to afford editing and I know how impostant it is. There is no easy answer but I live in hope I can still get there with the story, and I try to learn as much as I can in the interim.
Jess, great post, so helpful.

Diana McCollum said...

I agree with Sarah and Armorina, the cost of an editor is expensive. I paid for my editor for my novel before self publishing. I paid with a charge card and took me two years to pay off. Were my sell results any better than someone who didn't use an editor? Nope. Low sells. I would love to use an editor for all my self pub books, but until I see a good return , it's money I can't afford to spend. Thanks for the check list, that was generous of you! Great blog post.

Jessa said...

Lynn, your/you're/yore so right about fresh eyes! The brain KNOWS what it meant even if what's on the page isn't quite right/write/rite. ;)

Jessa Slade said...

Judith, I don't do non-fiction myself since I think that's a special skill. Fact-checking has its place in fiction but it's probably extra important in non-fiction since people are relying on that info in a different way. And yet you still have to make even facts "readable"! This writing thang is hard work!

Jessa Slade said...

Sarah, siiiiigh. I hear you about the costs of creation. But yes, I do believe the STORY is most important and that can be honed without great expense. Just brainstorming, writing, reading, rethinking, rewriting... ;)

Jessa Slade said...

Amorina, I think storytelling skills can be learned without significant cost. We just read a lot, writing a lot, think a lot, revise a lot, and we can improve our skills with every story we tell. Might take a little longer but we'll get there!

Jessa Slade said...

Diana, I think paying for an editor can be really helpful (but of course I'd think that!) for leveling up more quickly. But I think we can get to the same place without the expense by reading widely enough to become our own editors, swapping with critique partners, revising our own work critically, etc. And it is very frustrating to me that all the skill and effort in the world might not be reflected in sales. Struggle!

Maggie Lynch said...

Big sigh! And now Jessa Slade will be panhandling on the street to pay the mortgage because she gave her all her secrets. :)

I can personally recommend Red Circle Ink highly and I know Jessa keeps her rates as low as she possibly can. I agree 100% that using an editor, particularly a developmental editor, gets you to a more accomplished manuscript faster. I also know that using a developmental editor ALWAYS finds ways your story could be better.

It is true that indie authors are working in a world with continuously contracting sales. It is true that with a lot of hard work and the right friends or very skilled critique partners that you can get "good enough" and not pay money.

The question for me has been, does everything I pay money for have to be proven by sales? Because if the answer is yes, I will never pay money for anything again--not an editor, not an advertisement, not a website host, not a bookmark, not a cover designer. I'll also never again do a book signing at a bookstore or attend any in-person event. Because none of those things have a direct correlation to sales. None!

So, if none of them have a direct correlation to sales what is a writer to do? For me, the answer is to do what makes the best possible product in my eyes. I do believe that a good story is what sells the best. But if no one knows that story exists, then I have to find a way to get people to know that. So, big sigh, the cycle continues.

Each person has to decide what he/she is willing to invest in their writing business. If the answer is zero, then the expectation on return should also be zero. Yes, we can all hold out for the magical zeitgeist hit we each have in us. But I have little belief I'll hit that in my lifetime.

It's a tough decision. As long as I'm in this business, I'll seek out good editing however I can get it--either an author who is amazing at identifying good story AND being able to articulate what is wrong; or bartering with a good editor for something I can do for him/her; or outright paying for it. For me, story is all I have to give because my talents are limited in all the other areas.

Joy Babu Jewel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joy Babu Jewel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessa Slade said...

Maggie, as you know, I'm always in the market for a good magic bullet! :D Barring that, we all muddle along as best we can. Because if we COULD be doing something besides writing, surely we'd do that other easier thing instead! But then we'd have to put on pants... Yeah, big sigh. ;)

Dora Bramden said...

In working on editing a first draft at the moment. I think your check list will be very helpful. Thanks for a very informative explanation of what an editor does. Dora.

Jessa Slade said...

Dora, I hope the checklist gives you a framework to make editing SOMEwhat easier. Good luck on the next draft!

Cathryn Cade said...

A great post from a stellar editor. I've worked with Jessa, and she brought a new depth and clarity to my storytelling that I never could have achieved on my own.

My firm belief is that anyone who thinks they can be successful without an editor... should think again.

Anonymous said...

A local critique group is a good way to get some free help with the typos and story continuity. Small presses are still out there and are a legitimate answer if you can’t afford an editor. They pay you a royalty. They pay the editor. They pay for the cover. They often have a buying fan base established. I self publish and I have publishers so please don’t think I’m saying one is better than the other, but if you want editing and can’t afford it submit your work to a small press that take unagented submissions. I have read books that could have been amazing with editing. The worst thing ever is being pulled out of a story by too many typos. If you do go it alone pay for a year of grammerly and get some beta readers. Too many people are slapping first drafts on Amazon.