Friday, August 7, 2020

A New Approach to an Old Manuscript

Hi, I’m Judith Ashley, author of The Sacred Women’s Circle series, soul nourishing romantic women’s fiction that honors pagan spiritual practices. My stories show you what life could be like if you had a place like The Circle where you are unconditionally accepted, supported and loved. And where, with this support, you do overcome obstacles and find your happily-ever-after.

I’ve 8 fiction books published (The Sacred Women’s Circle (7) and The Visions quartet (Visions of Happiness with 3 more down the pike). The women and men in my stories all have the kind of every-day problems many of us have. What I show in these books is how ordinary people can overcome challenges with the unconditional acceptance, support and love of a group of like-minded women and their own personal spiritual practice.
Writing these books was cathartic and healing for me. I was able to use my personal knowledge of and in some cases my personal experiences to illustrate issues such as domestic violence, single parenting, death of a spouse, cancer, self-doubt, self-criticism – well, you get the message.
How, when we are burdened with doubts and fears, can we move forward in our lives, take that chance, take that leap and for our best life, our happily-ever-after?

Sharing emotions, dreams, fears was easy when writing fictional characters. However, I have a background in Social Services and while not a social worker or therapist, I have over 50 years working in the fields of domestic and international adoption, child protective services, geriatric care management, professional guardianship, protection of vulnerable adults and I was a parenting grandmother. Lots of life experiences.
I drew heavily on my training and certification under Dr.William Glasser and have been on the senior teaching faculty of The William Glasser Institute International and am an active instructor in The Glasser Institute for Choice Theory – US. If you are familiar with Dr. Glasser’s work, you’ll see it embedded in the stories I write.

And if you aren’t familiar with his work, let me introduce you!

In addition to writing fiction, I also write non-fiction. Staying Sane in a Crazy World gives readers a blue-print to create their own Personal Staying Sane Plan.

Currently I’m getting ready to do a total rewrite of my second non-fiction, Yes, You Can Create A Life You Love. In 1979 and 1980 I created a training Love, Worth, Fun, Freedom: How To Get More. I saw small miracles happen in the lives of people who took my course through a local community college.

In 1999, I joined Wild Women Writers with the idea to turn the course into a “self-help” book. I got side-tracked and wrote my fiction books instead.

And now I’m back!

I’ve actually written the book but when one of my “first readers” commented that while the book was good, I sounded like I was giving a lecture that stopped me in my tracks. I’ve spent several months pondering how to move forward. I’ve ideas which include starting from the beginning. In other words, put the original material aside and write. When it comes to the exercises, they will be basically the same but the illustrations will be new.

Scary?

Ohhh yesss!

Why? Because that “lecture voice” while drawn from my knowledge and experiences is distance from the real me. What I am leaping off the proverbial cliff to do, is write this book from my heart, from the same place I write my fiction.

My goal is to have Yes You Can Create A Life You Love published by the end of the year. Just typing that gives me an uncomfortable feeling. Revealing my imperfect self in real life, in real time is daunting for me. And I know my book will be better for my having stepped forth and moved through “daunting”.

In the meantime, do take a look at Staying Sane. Regardless of your politics, you will find creating your Personal Staying Sane Plan a boon to get you through these coming months if not years.

You can find all of my books at your favorite e-book vendor. Be sure to ask your local library if you’d prefer to read my books through that resource.

Learn more about Judith's The Sacred Women’s Circle series at JudithAshleyRomance.com

Follow Judith on Twitter: JudithAshley19

Check out Judith’s Windtree Press author page.





You can also find Judith on FB! 

© 2020 Judith Ashley

12 comments:

Diana McCollum said...

Judith,

I read the "Staying Sane" book when it first came out. Very helpful and thanks for the reminder, I need to read it again. As our insane world with COVID-19, BLM and politics are overwhelming sometimes.

Rewriting is a big step, but I know your book will be better than ever and one I'll surely buy! Stay safe and Sane!!!

Judith Ashley said...

Diana, thanks for stopping by. Glad you found "Staying Sane" helpful. One of the Major Points in that book is the importance of reviewing our "Personal Staying Sane Plan" and updating it when we need to re-balance our lives.

Vonnie Alto said...

How exciting that you'll be revising your book from the heart. That's so important now in the times we live in where most people are questioning their lives and careers to read heart centered books. Also, thank you for the reminder to read or reread your other book, "Staying Sane." I think that it's just as relevant now and even more so given our pandemic which has turned the world upside down crazy. I look forward to revisiting it for the useful and therapeutic nuggets I'll find for coping in this crazy pandemic world we now live in today.

Judith Ashley said...

Vonnie, thank you for commenting. I agree that the world is even more "Crazy" than it was when I first wrote "Staying Sane". Developing a Personal Staying Sane Plan requires us to reflect on our challenges with an open mind and look for the pieces over which we do have control. I think being able to create our Personal Staying Sane Plan is even more crucial in today's divisive world.

And, if you haven't already, please consider leaving a review on Amazon, Apple, Barnes & Noble, Goodreads or Kobo.

Cheryl Wright said...

Love your covers and your books sound wonderful!

Sarah Raplee said...

I loved Staying Sane and look forward to reading your new non-fiction book, Judith. Your plan to rewrite using your fiction writing process will help your writer's voice to shine through and connect with readers.

Judith Ashley said...

Cheryl, thanks for stopping by and thank you for your comment about my covers. To make any changes to them will be some time in the future if at all.

Judith Ashley said...

Thanks Sarah, I appreciate your feedback before, during and after my writing process! Fingers-crossed the "how" is easier, much much easier than the "what".

Maggie Lynch said...

I agree your Staying Sane book is excellent. In fact it is very timely during 2020 with so many things happening at once. That reminds me, I'm going to Tweet it again. I bet people have lost track of it.

As for your lecture voice. I didn't see that. I think I saw it more as reminders of key points like a Life Coach he keeps saying: "You can do it! Just remember you are the one in control."

Judith Ashley said...

Thanks for the shout out on "Staying Sane", Maggie. I'm excited to show people they can create a life they love even in difficult times.

Peggy said...

I enjoyed your post here, Judith, and I love the new cover. Your Sacred Circle books are in my TO BE READ soon list.

Judith Ashley said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Peggy. Would love to get feedback from you when you get to my The Sacred Women's Circle series.