Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!


Well, given the locale of my third Clubmobile Girls novel, my heroine might more readily exclaim: “Cobras and Tigers and Elephants, oh my!”
Yes, we are headed to exotic and mystical India in my next WWII romance novel. Many readers won’t remember that Americans fought and died in India during WWII (or why), so I’m composing a prefatory note to set the stage. Trying to distill the high points into a succinct summary has impressed on me just how complex a situation my hero and heroine will face. Nationalist protests, riots and strikes roil the country during these waning days of the British Raj, famine results in suffering and starvation on a mass scale in large swathes of the country, intrigue abounds as the Indians, British, American, and Chinese jockey to advance their favored military and post-war strategic interests, guerrilla forces battle the enemy and the environment in the steamy jungles of Burma and northeast India, and Hump pilots making daily trips over the Himalayas in the worst airspace on earth face untold hazards to keep China supplied with vital food and military supplies.

My heroine is delighted and enthralled from the moment she catches sight of Bombay from the harbor. India is as far away from her small hometown in Missouri and her troubled past as it is possible to imagine. And while she initially focuses on the potential for adventure and a fresh start, she must all too quickly confront a myriad of challenges to her worldview of India and to her goals and plans.


By contrast, my hero wants nothing more than to escape India at the earliest possible opportunity. A son of American missionaries to Burma who attended boarding school in northwest India, he is anxious to return to America and his future in the ivy-covered halls of academia. He had, after all, already done his part for the war, flying combat missions with the Flying Tigers in the earliest months of the war. But escaping the lure of this labyrinthine land he had called home most of his life, not to mention a call of duty he is uniquely qualified to offer, proves difficult. The bright and brave young woman he cannot evict from his heart complicates things all the more.
            I would love to say that this more sequestered and slower paced life I’ve been leading has translated into huge daily word counts. Alas, that has not been the case. But I am nearing the end of my research process, have a good solid start in the early chapters, and have committed to start meeting that 1000-1500 word count daily goal again this week. I know I’m not the only author who has had difficulty with overall focus and productive habits in these challenging times. And the research required to corral the myriad competing potential plot points for this vast and complex setting has been an enormous undertaking. So that’s a long way of saying I am trying to give myself permission and space to let this story bloom gradually, rather than second-guessing whether I ought to have more to show for such an extended period of being largely housebound!  
I hope all of you continue to take care of yourself and your loved ones and stay in good spirits as we continue to adjust to a new normal.

You can learn more about me and my novels on my website, and you can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram

You can purchase my first two Clubmobile Girls novels on Amazon.



4 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

I didn't know American soldiers and Clubmobile Girls were in India in WWII. The research you mentioned is a gold mine. You may have to set more than one story there.

Sarah Raplee said...

I didn't know this either. I can't wait to read this story!

Eleri Grace said...

Judith -- yes, I do think I probably will circle back to this locale and create a story that is more Burma-based or perhaps looks at India/Burma from a different angle. We had soldiers and Red Cross Girls in Europe, Aus/NZ, New Guinea, most Pacific islands, China, India, Burma, Iceland, Greenland, Aleutian islands, Panama, Brazil, Iran, N Africa -- I have lots of settings to choose from!

Maggie Lynch said...

There is so much about WWII most people don't know. Even those who specialize in it. My husband wrote books for Time/Life about WWII. So, I count him as an expert. Yet, we occasionally find a documentary on TV that teaches him something new.

As for me, most of it is new because a grew up in a conservative place in California where there was no history taught except that that showed the U.S. as the saviors of all countries. Also the role of women in the war at all was never spoken.

Interested in taking a look at your stories, especially if they are so well researched.