They say that laughter is the best medicine, to which I say, all well and good, but some days I need a more tangible boost for my mood. In no particular order, here are five things that will lift me from a funk.
1. A new notebook(s). I have several projects going at one time and each project has its own notebook. I’m not overly fussy about brand name, whatever is on sale. Buying a new notebook, a blank canvas, an empty treasure chest for me to fill, is guaranteed to give me a good day, or at least a better one.
2. Caffeine. No, I’m not addicted, mind your own business. Anyway... I start my day with a cup of black tea with a splash of 2% milk, followed by a cup or two of dark roast coffee with whole milk. I’ll make another cup of tea later in the day as a pick-me-up. Or, if I’m really flagging, a cup of hot cocoa. Now that I’m of a certain age, I need to be careful of caffeine consumption in the evening and so drink a cup of herbal tea after supper.
3. Post-it notes, stickies, what-ever-the-heck you call them. In many different colours and various sizes, they’re insurance that a brilliant idea won’t get lost, a paper security blanket, if you will. Very handy for jotting a quick note to stick into a notebook.
4. Wool or yarn of some sort for a knitting project. Or yarn and a canvas for a rug hooking project. Creativity in a different medium. I either sit in silence and let my thoughts wander at will, or I listen to something. I subscribe to a long list of podcasts, from writing topics to comedy to history to philosophical discussion, and they keep my brain occupied whilst my fingers work.
5. Chocolate. Either dark or milk depending on my mood. Something nutty for when I need a boost of protein, or fruity (chocolate covered raisins!) when I need a boost of energy.
If you don’t have anything handy to chuckle about, what puts a zing-fizz in your day?