Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Location, Location, Location


I envy people who get to take sabbaticals and travel, find new writing locations and landscapes that simulate those creative juices. I never get to do that.
 
When it's time for me to sit in a chair and write, it's always the same chair, in the sae room, in front of the same mirror. My view only changes with the seasons. Of course, since I live near Chicago, Illinois, those seasons can change pretty fast.  We can do spring, winter, fall and then spring again, all within twenty-four hours.   No, I didn't forget summer, but summer only appears when it is good and ready.  So, if I wanted to write a story based on the season, I would have to learn to be a speed-writer.

As if. I've been writing for over a decade now, and have yet to master that trick.  At a school presentation last week a young lady asked how long it took me to finish a book. I didn't want to say forever so I made something up, but forever is really close to accurate. I think I know every blade of grass in my lawn, even when buried under snow. I have counted and recounted them in the long years of completing five books, with my agent shopping a sixth one around right now. My chair must be so tired of me.

Ar least I did get a change of scenary on Tuesday.
    
No, it was not because of a sabbatical or vacation. I spent much of yesterday perched in an uncomfortable chair looking out the window of an auto shop at the traffic. I was there because a flat tire so far gone the wheel needed to be replaced. The air was stuffy. A television blared something incomprehensible from its position mounted over my head. Not the most conducive location for creativity and story writing. 
 
However, it proved to be an awesome spot for editing. That's one part of writing I consider the most boring chore in the world. I was armed with a print copy of my WIP (Work In Progress) and one of my trusty pens. I edit best the old fashioned way, with pen and paper, not on a screen. And during two very long hours, the location ended up being conducive to updating multiplied chapters.
 
Maybe discomfort makes it easier to stay on task when faced with a distasteful job.

Who knows, maybe I will just go back there sometime and see if the place works it's magic on my editing again.

What parts of the writing process do you dislike the most?  Do you have any good tips for getting them done anyway? 

1 comment:

Judith Ashley said...

Barbara, I loved your take on the auto shop. I am not thrilled with editing although I know it is crucial to putting out a good book. I write straight through -linear. I know the issues I have and pay attention as I go along to catch my most favorite words "as" "just" "shrugged" for example. I then read through again looking for my biggest story issues: wimpy setting, what people look like, what they wear, how they get from the door across the room, etc. I also look for other issues like missing quotation marks, etc. Then I send it to my First Reader, who goes through it line by line, comma by comma, step (literally steps) by step. Together we go through the book, page by page. She questions plot, character development, story line, etc. What I find so challenging I no longer do it separate is "weasel words". How many "just" in a 100K story is too many? I think what readers object to is how many "just" are in a paragraph or on a page or even in a scene.

Do let us know if you return to the auto shop to do more editing and if the magic is still there.