Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Rewards for a job well done...

Happy Anniversary and congratulations to Romancing the Genres! The longevity of this blog speaks to the dedication of its founders and its many contributors, of which I’m honoured to be one.

The theme this month is how we celebrate ourselves. I must confess it took me more than a few minutes of thought to determine whether or not I actually celebrate myself. I concluded that I do though I’ve never thought of it in that way. Rather, I celebrate my accomplishments.

A book release is always accompanied by a bottle of Prosecco, along with equal parts elation and sorrow. A finished knitting project is acknowledged with a metaphorical pat on the back and a sense of relief. When I’ve reorganized a closet or a cupboard, I celebrate by opening the door and admiring my handiwork…several times…every day for about a week. When I experiment with a new recipe, I enjoy eating the fruits of my labours and am proud of my skill.

For me, the celebration is in the act itself. It’s a quiet, private, personal acknowledgement of a job well done.

Now, I do deliberately reward myself on a regular basis. Shovelling several cubic yards of soil into new garden beds was recently (last weekend) rewarded with a tall cold one and a bowl of corn chips. Keeping to a regular exercise schedule for a week is routinely reinforced by a bag (the small, single serving size) of Hawkins Cheesies (the best in the world, in my opinion). And meeting my weekly writing goals earns me a day of baking and reading.

So whether it’s called a celebration or a reward, I do recognize and take pride in what I accomplish, whether it’s baking a perfect loaf of bread or writing a novel.

Speaking of baking and novels…



Unemployed photojournalist Raynor Elliot stops at a bakery near the famous Deerbourne Inn. Not only does he get a lead on a job but the bakery’s owner is that awkward kid he knew in high school, only now she has fabulous curves and an irreverent sense of humor. The cozy bakery, with its aroma of sugar, vanilla and spice, has more to offer than tasty cookies.

Fiona MacLeod has been plagued for years by the need to make amends for telling The Big Lie. When the lie’s victim strolls into her bakery with his icy blue stare and killer charm, she feels like she’s standing too close to a hot oven.

Between running her bakery and frosting cupcakes for the Mad River Garden Party, she's pretty sure she's falling in love with this infuriating, sexy man. Can Fiona dredge up the courage to confess, face the consequences, and hope for forgiveness?

Available for purchase at your favourite ebook retailer.

Luanna Stewart has been creating adventures for her imaginary friends since childhood. She spends her days writing spicy contemporary romance, romantic suspense, paranormal romance, and historical romance. When not torturing her heroes and heroines, she’s in her kitchen baking something delicious. She lives in Nova Scotia with her patient husband and two spoiled cats.









5 comments:

peggy jaeger said...

I love that you equate celebrate with reward, because I 'm the same. I take real pleasure in a job done and done well. That's enough for me, sometimes. Great post!

Judith Ashley said...

Great post, Luanna. I can go with the word "reward" although it doesn't have as much of an "energy punch" for me. And if I'd hauled several cubic yards of soil, once I'd recovered enough to hold a glass of something cold and hopefully bubbly I'd lean on something in order to still stand up and toast myself, my success and bask in the view of a job well done. Of all your examples, the one I love the most and best relate to is the reorganizing closet or cupboard (or my house). Even two years later I pause at times, remembering the clutter of furniture, etc. that I inherited but didn't love, and smile because it's all gone to the next generation who is thrilled to have it.

Are any of your books in paperback? "Love Proof" looks like a fun read...but your post says it's available at your favourite ebook retailer. If I get an e-book it sits for years on a tablet that is seldom charged thus doesn't get read.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Nice post, Luanna. I also reward myself when I reach milestones in writing and life. Love Proof looks awesome!

Sarah Raplee said...

I've come to the conclusion that I need to celebrate my own accomplishments more. Thanks for the great examples!

Deb N said...

I do love the looking in closets that have been reorganized a zillion times. I do the same thing. Because for me, organizing anything is a chore I hate, so once I'm done and it looks so nice, it's hard not to pate myself on the back and bask in the accomplishment. Like releasing a new book and turning that "baby" over and over in you hands and "stroking" the cover :-)

And for anyone who loves baking, or sampling baking, take it from me - Lu is a master. And she has two books out that include bakeries. Both will make your mouth water from the luscious description of desserts...and, oh yeah...the heroes.