Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Here they come!

Ah, the promise of spring. Now that we’re in one of the official “springtime” months, albeit super early springtime in these parts, I’m on the lookout for glimmers of future mild days, blossoms, and nature’s renewal.

One such glimmer is the return of migrating birds and the subsequent nesting behaviours. But even before the travellers return, our local crows are busy establishing territory, selecting a mate, and telling the world all about it. Corvids are my favourite bird species and I’m thrilled we have a resident family of crows. However, I won’t be thrilled in a month or two when the chicks wake at five o’clock in the morning to beg for breakfast at the top of their lungs.

Crow pair perched on branch in fog.


A sure way to know a particular bird is back in town is by their song. Just this morning, I was serenaded by a Song Sparrow while I enjoyed my first cup of coffee. 

Don’t for a minute think I’m a whiz at birdcall ID. I’m not. But there’s an app for that! (What isn’t there an app for?)


In mid-April, I’ll watch the skies and the nest for the return of our resident Osprey pair.

Two Osprey chicks in nest on sunny day.

And the Great Blue Herons will begin patrolling the shoreline shortly thereafter, a sure sign that summer is nigh.

Great Blue Heron on grassy shoreline.


Luanna Stewart has been creating adventures for her imaginary friends since childhood. She spends her days writing many flavours of romance. When not torturing her characters, she’s in her kitchen baking something delicious. She lives in Nova Scotia with her patient husband and two hens.

3 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

I used to wonder why they were called a "murder of crows". I found out last spring when several (who normally eschew my yard) came calling and went after the baby birds. I hadn't had any birds build nests in my trees for years. Now I know why.

But there are signs of spring here in Western Oregon. Daffodils are blooming and other plants are beginning to sprout new leaves. Some friends have reported robins. I've not had them in my yard yet. Several years ago, one nested in the rafters on my front porch. That was a thrill. Thankfully we have a backdoor and didn't disturb them too much.

Diana McCollum said...

It's hard to think about spring when we've just had 4 days of cold, cold weather and intermittent snow, hail and rain.

My daffodils have started blooming, they don't mind the cold, but our flowering trees have not bloomed.

i do love it when all the birds are back. We can see them oit of the kitchen window when we eat.

Sarah Raplee said...

I know crows can be predatory, but I love how smart they are. I love ravens, too, and got to see them again in Alaska last summer.

We love feeding the birds and watching them out the windows. We saw a mountain robin the other day for the first time since our Feb. ice storm.

Our camellia bushes are blooming for the second time since winter. Global warming tricked them into thinking spring had come during a January warm spell. We didn't know if they would bloom again, but they did.

I think we're all ready for spring!